FRENCH SURNAME FAMILY

  • D.HICK
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 27, 2000
      I am looking for information on Margaret and Elizabeth FRENCH.

      Margaret FRENCH:

      She was born in Scotland to John FRENCH and his unknown first wife sometime
      prior to 1842. Her mother died when she was young and she was raised by
      relatives. A handwritten note by her half-sister's daughter prior to 1929
      reads: "Margaret married John RUSSELL and four boys and one girl she died
      very young. (Did Margaret or the girl die very young?) Family were drapery
      mfgr in Edinburg". This last may refer to John RUSSELL or to John FRENCH.

      Elizabeth FRENCH:

      She was born in Scotland on 2 June 1843 to John FRENCH and his second
      wife, Christiana Morton BRASH. Her sister Christina or Christiana went to
      Australia with her mother and stepfather, Thomas PRENTICE. They arrived in
      Australia on the Helen ? between 7/22/1852 and 10/31/1852. I suspect
      Elizabeth may have been with them, but do not know for sure. The clues I
      have are handwritten notes which say "Elizabeth (Simpson) of Australia"
      written prior to 1929 and "daughter, Elizabeth m. Simpson of Australia, 1
      boy and 1 girl, lives in Australia" written after that and probably in the
      40's or 50's.

      Elizabeth's mother, stepfather, sister Christina, and a 3-year old
      half-brother left Australia in 1860-1861 for California and settled in
      Stockton, California where Christina's descendants, Eichelberger and
      Hickinbotham, still live.

      Cris Hickinbotham