Help needed - 1841 census - Reading

  • McBride
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 15, 2000
      Hello to the list,

      Wonder if anyone can help with my problem with the 1841 census of
      Reading, Berkshire. I ordered the film from LDS but a lot of it was
      impossible to read. Does anyone know if the census has been indexed?

      My Great-great Grandfather Edmund Keane Byrne said he was raised in
      Reading with his family. His father died of consumption when he was a
      baby in 1838 in London and it was then that I think the family of his
      mother Ann, brother Frank, sisters Emily & Lucy and Edmund went to
      Reading (perhaps Ann's family was from there). By 1845 they were back in
      London where Edmund was arrested at the age of eight years for theft and
      sentenced to seven years transportation. At this time his mother was
      also suffering from consumption of which she died in a workhouse in
      1847. Edmund was transported to Australia.

      The 1841 census is therefore the only one which will show the family as
      a group and as I couldn't read the film I cannot say whether they were
      there or not. I would really appreciate any help on this as I am at a
      loss as to where else to look. Many thanks, Sharon McBride, Perth,
      Western Australia.