Re: [englishresearch] SHOULD I OR SHOULDN'T I -WHAT DO YOU THINK

  • awhite
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 30, 2001
      Dear Janet Reakes
      The virus not only seems to be the foulest dis-service possible to the IT
      age but oh, what a frustration to be afflicted. By all means, keep up the
      good service, please!
      By the way as long as I am on the air at last, how would be the best way to
      track my earliest relative in Australia. Prior to coming to Australia aboard
      the Coromandel which arrived in SA in 1837. John Charles Shorey White, wife
      and two children has left a long and known list of descendents however I
      only know he was an orphan apprentice baker, supposedly born in Thorpe,
      Essex in 1813. I know from a biography written by his gdaughter (I imagine?
      he was alive at the time of writing) quite a few more bits and pieces but
      lack the direction to find his parents who were said to have died of
      consumption when he was very young. If I was looking now I would try the
      Bakers Guilds around Essex and as he came here as a bank clerk and held the
      first Wesleyan service at Glenelg there are more places to go. However the
      starting point eludes me. Could you offer a pointer or three from you vast
      experience and I do not mean to be a smarty in saying that because in all
      the time I have enjoyed reading the Janet Reakes pages (in between virus
      attacks) I realise how genuinely you know your subject.
      Many thanks and I look forward to hearing from you.
      Regards
      Anthony White