Re: [englishresearch] just starting

  • Rtuxford@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 28, 2001
      Dear Vicki, Really the best way would be trace your heritage back to England
      or where then when you get there do a bit of rooting around the churches ,
      then see what they have in the parish registers Bob
    • Fred
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 28, 2001
        Dear Vicki, I would start with the 1881 census of England & Wales as it is
        fully indexed and contains lots of information. That is, of course if he was
        alive then, but in any case his parents would have been alive and kicking
        wouldn't they? You can get access to the census at most LDS church family
        history centres which are all over the USA. LDS = Mormons and it's free.
        Best of British luck to you. fred
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 3, 2001
          Vicki,
          Don't know how far you were able to get with your information. Do you have
          your Dad's birth certificate. If so it should state where and when he was
          born, name of parents etc. It may also have other details. If you don't
          have the certificate you should be able to find details from the index of St
          Catherine's House Register of Births, Deaths, and Marriages, which registers
          all bdm in England and Wales. You can then write to either a record agent,
          or directly to the PRO and they will arrange for a copy of the certificate
          to be purchased. If you like me to I can try to find some details as I'm a
          member of the Society of Australian Genealogists in Sydney and volunteer
          twice monthly. On other Saturdays I'm usually in there ferreting around.
          We have copies of the St Caths Index on microfiche. From there you should
          be able to go back, by checking marriages etc. If you think I can help
          just email. Yay Cyclones. Morrie Johnston, Sydney NSW, Australia. P.S.
          Happy 4th.

          > I'm just starting to do some research on my Father's side of the family.
          My dad was born in England so I know his information, but he is no longer
          available to me and his brothers don't remember much about their family.
          Where would be a good place to start for me living in Iowa, USA? His name
          is Gerald Williams and his mother's maiden name is Floyd(e). I'm planning a
          trip over to England next summer, so ideas on where to go once there would
          be great as well as anything I can do from the states.

          > Thanks!
          > Vicki

        • Dorne Cawte
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 4, 2001
            Dear Vicki,
            You can learn lots about your English ancestors free on the internet before
            you travel to England. The more you can find out from home, the more
            interesting your trip will be next summer.

            The LDS church has good info on English births and marriages before 1900.
            You can go to www.familysearch.org and click on 'Search for Ancestors'. The
            tips are worth printing first.
            Your father's immigration records might say where in England he came from,
            and how old he was when he arrived in USA. That could give a clue to when he
            was born.
            http://istg.rootsweb.com/newcompass/pcindex.html has a link to Passenger
            Lists and Ships, USA arrivals.

            Hope this helps,
            Dorne in Australia.
          • Helene Shepherd
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 4, 2001
              Hello
              I have just read Morrie's response to Vicki.
              He says to do a search of the St Catherine's index. However, I am searching for the birth details of my husband's great grandfather who came from England arriving in Australia in 1857. The only records so far available to me give his age as 65 when he died in 1901. (His shipping records only list him as an "Adult" and his marriage certificate does not give an age for either he or his spouse.) This would mean that he was born about 1836.
              At a family history library this week, I was told that if the event (birth, death, marriage) occurred prior to 1837, then you would need to know which parish the event occurred in. This was because registration only became compulsory in 1837.
              Can anybody tell me if this is correct?
              Helene
              in Newcastle, NSW Australia

              > I'm just starting to do some research on my Father's side of the family.
              My dad was born in England so I know his information, but he is no longer
              available to me and his brothers don't remember much about their family.
              Where would be a good place to start for me living in Iowa, USA? His name
              is Gerald Williams and his mother's maiden name is Floyd(e). I'm planning a
              trip over to England next summer, so ideas on where to go once there would
              be great as well as anything I can do from the states.

              > Thanks!
              > Vicki

              Community email addresses:
              Post message: englishresearch@onelist.com
              Subscribe: englishresearch-subscribe@onelist.com

              Shortcut URL to this page:
              http://www.onelist.com/community/englishresearch

            • Antony Lambert
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 4, 2001
                Pretty much correct.

                Registration of DEaths and Marriages was compulsary from July 1st 1837.

                Registration of births was not mndatory until 1875 and <they> reckon about
                only 80% of births were registered until this time.

                Regards

                Antony

                B M & D Certificates: Pay with a non sterling cheque or Credit Card and get
                them direct from the local office of the Superintendent Registrar. Se my low
                tech web page for details. www.certificates.fsnet.co.uk/certific.htm or e
                mail me at antonylambert@...

                The Hurst Pages: www.certificates.fsnet.co.uk/hurstpages.htm

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                Community email addresses:
                Post message: englishresearch@onelist.com
                Subscribe: englishresearch-subscribe@onelist.com

                Shortcut URL to this page:
                http://www.onelist.com/community/englishresearch

                Community email addresses:
                Post message: englishresearch@onelist.com
                Subscribe: englishresearch-subscribe@onelist.com

                Shortcut URL to this page:
                http://www.onelist.com/community/englishresearch

              • moderick
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 5, 2001
                  Helene,
                  The St Catherines House Index for the BDM does start in the 2nd quarter
                  of 1837. Earlier records were transcripts of church records, i.e.
                  bishops transcripts, parish records etc. It's worth while checking
                  the St Caths Index as a long shot because Death certificates are only
                  reliable for including the date and type of cause of death. The
                  information is given by a 2nd or even 3rd party, and originators of the
                  information i.e. deceased have been known to be coy about their age
                  etc, or the person recording the information could have deliberately
                  misstated same. If you don't find your person on the St Caths House
                  index you're in for a hard slog. Does the shipping record list the
                  person by name and are there any details which may give you an avenue
                  for further search. Happy hunting. Morrie Johnston.

                  > I have just read Morrie's response to Vicki.
                  > He says to do a search of the St Catherine's index. However, I am
                  > searching for the birth details of my husband's great grandfather
                  > who came from England arriving in Australia in 1857. The only
                  > records so far available to me give his age as 65 when he died in
                  > 1901. (His shipping records only list him as an "Adult" and his
                  > marriage certificate does not give an age for either he or his
                  > spouse.) This would mean that he was born about 1836.
                  > At a family history library this week, I was told that if the
                  > event (birth, death, marriage) occurred prior to 1837, then you
                  > would need to know which parish the event occurred in. This was
                  > because registration only became compulsory in 1837.
                  > Can anybody tell me if this is correct?
                  > Helene
                  > in Newcastle, NSW Australia

                • Dawn Webb
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 5, 2001
                    Hello Helen

                    Yes, compulsory registration started 1837, I think with the September
                    quarter (ie July to Sept.). Other than that, it helps to know the parish.
                    Some counties have indexed the records so you can pick them up without that,
                    but not all. Try around the area of their marriage for starters. If he had
                    children born here in Oz then their birth certs give more details - I got
                    the parish of birth of some of my gg grandparents that way.

                    Good luck

                    Dawn

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 6, 2001
                      Morrie
                      Thanks. I have had a few replies to my original message. Unfortunately, the shipping records give very little information - his name and that he was an adult and that he was in the "Chief Cabins". I led to believe that this means he was a 1st class passenger.
                      I am going to order his daughter's birth certificate and hope that this will give me a bit more information.