REGIMENTS

  • Janet Reakes
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 12, 2000
      Thought I should just forward on this comment to add to the Military PHOTOS
      posting.

      >original text
      >Please do bear in mind that in WW1 in particular, where a
      >soldier was living at the time of his volunteering or conscription
      >often had no bearing on which Regiment etc. he was posted to.
      >(or if he was killed where he was buried). So a soldier who
      >perhaps volunteered or was conscripted in Devon could be
      >posted to a Yorkshire Regiment.

      Not strictly true. Men who volunteered before December 1915 usually had
      a choice of regiment - they usually volunteered for their county
      regiment (or one adjacent) but in areas like Birmingham and London the
      county regiments simply could not cope and they transferred large
      numbers of men en bloc to one of the smaller county regiments. The other
      option was one of the regiments or corps which recruited nationally like
      the guards or ASC.

      After December 1915 when conscription came in men tended to be posted
      within their command so for example a man from Devon would report to
      the barracks in Exeter and be told to go to one of the DCLI, SLI,
      Dorsets, Glosters, Worcesters, Berkshires, Warwicks or Ox and Bucks
      which was Western Command. It would be very unlikely for a man from
      Devon to be sent to a Yorkshire regiment unless he had specifically
      requested it.

      However later they replaced the county regiments' training battalions
      with Training Reserve Regiments and men who were conscripted or had
      returned from injury got posted to one of these and thence by draft to
      Infantry Base Camps in France like the notorious Etaples camp where they
      were 'toughened up' and posted en bloc to any regiment that had a need
      for some more cannon fodder. It would only be in this latter situation
      that a Devon man was likely to be sent to a Yorkshire Regiment
      --
      John M Chapman