Re:The Latest Virus

  • McBride
    Message 1 of 1 , May 6 11:56 PM
      Hi Janet & All,
      Just thought I would let you know what I have learned about these latest
      viruses that are about.
      Most viruses that were around a while back worked by sending a message
      to people in the address book of the infected computer. This current one
      is a little different.
      When a person opens the attachment containing the virus it infects their
      computer and sends messages to senders of all unread messages on the
      persons computer. This is done entirely without the knowledge of the
      person concerned. This means that as I am doing now by posting to the
      list I will more than likely receive a message containing the virus from
      the infected computer of any list member who has the virus.
      It will look like my message headed.
      Re: The latest virus
      Will then include part of my message & then
      Take a look 'to' the attachment.
      Say for instance Janet had the virus. We recieve a message from her
      regarding our message, great we know her so it must be O.K. This is how
      so many are tricked. When they try to open the attachment they are told
      there is an error & they can't open it, but in fact it has already
      infected them.
      This virus is rampant at the moment. The best way to combat it is not to
      open the attachment but to take a note of whose computer it came from &
      then notify the list owner. The list owner then contacts the person
      privately & lets them know the bad news & temporarily unsubscribes the
      person until they have cleaned up their computer.
      The most important thing is not to blame the poor person who is
      unknowingly passing on this virus. It didn't even originate in our
      country hence - take a look 'to' instead of 'at'.
      Where most viruses come from an address unknown to us, this one is
      tricky as it comes form someone who is on a list we are on. It comes as
      a reply to a message we have posted to the list although it does not
      come through it. If you are on the lookout & don't open an attachment
      you are not expecting you have no problem.
      --
      Sharon McBride
      Perth, Western Australia

      Mailto:mcbridefam@...