IRISH IMPORTANT NEWS

  • jreakes
    Message 1 of 1 , May 6, 2001
      BlankIF YOU HAVE IRISH ANCESTORS READ THIS
      COUNCIL OF IRISH GENEALOGICAL ORGANISATIONS

      On Tuesday, 1 May, CIGO was invited to a press launch in Dublin. The Ministers for Health & Children and Social, Community & Family Affairs, Miche´┐Żl Martin TD and Dermot Ahern TD, were launching the consultative stage of the 'GRO PROJECT' in the form of a document entitled Bringing Civil Registration into the 21st Century - A Consultation Document on the Modernisation of the Civil Registration Service. This document can be found on the web at: www.groireland.ie/images/consultation.pdf . The consultation exercise is open to all, but unfortunately is quite short, it ends on the 31 May. CIGO encourages all organisations and individuals involved in Irish genealogical research to have their say. E-mail submissions may be sent to grodoc@... , however CIGO suggests that lengthy and/or detailed submissions should be made in writing and sent to:

      Civil Registration Modernisation Programme
      Department of Social, Community and Family Affairs
      Goldsmith House
      Pearse Street
      Dublin 2
      Republic of Ireland

      Appendix 6 of Bringing Civil Registration... lists a number of questions designed to assist those who wish to submit their views. Of particular interest is the section headed 'Public Access to Registration Records'. This section needs to be addressed thoroughly or genealogists may find that the new legislation (which is to be enacted later in the year) will, for the first time since 1845, severely restrict their access to certain sections of the Public Record ! Don't forget that this is also your opportunity to let the two Departments know that it is high time that permission was given by the Registrar General to allow genealogical groups to purchase copies of the Irish civil registration films held by the LDS church.

      Given the number of times over the years that the problem of the Irish General Register Office has raised its ugly head, some readers might 'think why bother ?'. DON'T ! This is the opportunity that we have all waited so long for. The next few months are crucial. We must all work hard to make sure that the new legislation proposed by the Irish Government fairly reflects the interests of Irish genealogists - both in Ireland and overseas.

      Kind regards,

      Steven Smyrl
      Executive Liaison Officer

      Now the interesting thing is people in Ireland can';t easily access the Irish BDM indexes like we can ours. Mind you we have a set of them in Hervey Bay, as too the Scottish and English so we are very lucky.