FOR DEVON PEOPLE

  • jreakes@familytreeresearch.net
    Message 1 of 1 , May 5, 2001
      Forwarded on to me.

      Janet, came across this on the Devon list (don't know if you are on
      it?) It is an alphabet in the Devon regional speech.

      A be fer Apple, as red as a rawse
      B be fer Bule, with a ring droo ees nawse
      C be fer Cow, vull o ees own charm
      D be fer Dumplin, Debm volk oo won't de ee no arm
      E be fer Edification, t'maake ee wise at t'end o the day
      F be fer Finikky, zome maid oo dawnt like rompin in th'ay
      G be fer Granfer Grigg, with eex bandy ole legs
      H be fer En, a-layin thikky eggs
      I be fer Ivcery whipsn'while, meaning now an agaan
      J be fer Junket, like mother maakes- twill never be the saam
      K be fer Kitty tope, a jenny wren gatherin grub
      L be fer Leery, why not git a pasy in a pub
      M be fer Mump Aid, ee got the brains o a brick wall
      N be fer Nort, meaning nuthin at all
      O be fer Oss, worried be vlies
      P be fer Pigs, layin down in thicky sties
      Q be fer Quaazy, veelin really unwell
      R be fer Rawze, kin ee call t'mind the smell?
      S be fer Scrumpy, the westcountryman's liquor
      T be fer Teddy caake, twill maake ee graw thicker
      U be fer Uppity, tempers grawing quite larage
      V be fer Varmer, the aid man in charge
      W be fer Want nap, a place fer piskies t'squat
      X be fer zummat, but I'm blawed if I knaw what
      Y be fer Yokel, a bloke of the land
      Z be fer Zummer, when the countryzide's grand