WHO CAN ANSWER THIS???

  • Susan Gandy
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 10 12:19 AM
      Hello List

      I have had great success tracing my GANDY ancestors (with some direction
      from the very famous Michael Gandy of LFHS) in England. However, have a
      question I cannot answer.

      The first of my English ancestors to arrive in Australia and start the line
      in this country was John Henry Travers GANDY. He arrived here (can't find
      out how or exactly when) sometime between 1880 and 1884. He seemed to have
      had various positions in mines around Mt Hope, Balranald, Cobar. Nothing
      unusual about that? Of course not, but this man came from a family where
      tradition and doing "the right thing" seemed to be paramount. For example,
      his two grandfathers (maternal and paternal) were both Mayors of Kendal,
      Cumbria at one time. Paternal grandfather was extremely wealthy, donated
      the railway between Kendal and Windermere, was Chairman of one of Kendal's
      banks, ran a newspaper and operated one of the largest carpet manufacturing
      business in Cumbria. His father (the second son of the Mayor) went into the
      church. The other sons went into the services and followed their father
      into the manufacturing business. Following tradition.

      So why did JHT, the first born son of the Rev James Hunter Gandy, not
      continue with the family tradition and go into the services? The next son
      did - he went into the Royal Navy and became quite famous. The next son
      went into the church, firstly CofE and then Roman Catholic and became Privy
      Chamberlain to Pope Pius X. So why did my direct ancestor end up in Cobar
      as a storekeeper, never to have contact with his family again.

      I would appreciate all ideas, no matter how fanciful!

      Susan Hunter Gandy
      in the lovely Blue Mountains

      SUGGESTION NUMBER 1 - Perhaps he was medically unfit or handicapped to go into service. More suggestions?
    • Eilleen Ovenden
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 10 3:34 PM
        Yes, he was the proverbial 'Black Sheep".
        Eilleen
      • Fred Pepper
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 10 10:40 PM
          Dear Susan, He might have been one of the first teen rebels, did he ever
          wear a flower in his hair? I think not at Cobar. Just be thankful he was
          what he was. fred
          >I have had great success tracing my GANDY ancestors (with some direction
          >from the very famous Michael Gandy of LFHS) in England. However, have a
          >question I cannot answer.
          >
          >The first of my English ancestors to arrive in Australia and start the line
          >in this country was John Henry Travers GANDY. He arrived here (can't find
          >out how or exactly when) sometime between 1880 and 1884. He seemed to
          have
          >had various positions in mines around Mt Hope, Balranald, Cobar. Nothing
          >unusual about that? Of course not, but this man came from a family where
          >tradition and doing "the right thing" seemed to be paramount. For example,
          >his two grandfathers (maternal and paternal) were both Mayors of Kendal,
          >Cumbria at one time. Paternal grandfather was extremely wealthy, donated
          >the railway between Kendal and Windermere, was Chairman of one of Kendal's
          >banks, ran a newspaper and operated one of the largest carpet manufacturing
          >business in Cumbria. His father (the second son of the Mayor) went into
          the
          >church. The other sons went into the services and followed their father
          >into the manufacturing business. Following tradition.
          >
          >So why did JHT, the first born son of the Rev James Hunter Gandy, not
          >continue with the family tradition and go into the services? The next son
          >did - he went into the Royal Navy and became quite famous. The next son
          >went into the church, firstly CofE and then Roman Catholic and became Privy
          >Chamberlain to Pope Pius X. So why did my direct ancestor end up in Cobar
          >as a storekeeper, never to have contact with his family again.
          >
          >I would appreciate all ideas, no matter how fanciful!
          >
          >Susan Hunter Gandy
          >in the lovely Blue Mountains
          >
          >SUGGESTION NUMBER 1 - Perhaps he was medically unfit or handicapped to go
          into service. More suggestions?

          >GET A NEXTCARD VISA, in 30 seconds! Get rates as low as 2.9 percent
          >Intro or 9.9 percent Fixed APR and no hidden fees. Apply NOW!

          >Shortcut URL to this page:

        • Vi Winters
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 10 7:59 PM
            In England, especially among those who were "traditional" and especially at
            the time you mention, a child who didn't follow social precepts and
            "embarrassed" the family in someway became the "black sheep" and many times
            was cast away, or ran away feeling bitter towards their family, and never
            returned. Pity the poor mammas! I think it was about this time, also, that
            dueling was outlawed, and if you did it and survived, you could be hanged
            for murder if the person you dueled died. At this time, also, you had to
            duel if provoked or be branded "not a gentleman". Maybe one of these things
            happened to your ancestor. You haven't looked in/on the prisoners lists
            have you? He might be there. Vi Winters