Re:CHAT

  • iborgia@telstra.easymail.com.au
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 7, 2001
      Hi Janet, I enjoyed the chat on monday night, I am ausborgau, will join in again when I return from holiday. Thanks for details of Peter Smith, and help with other questions. Jane.

      Community email addresses:
      Post message: englishresearch@onelist.com
      Subscribe: englishresearch-subscribe@onelist.com
      Shortcut URL to this page:
      http://www.onelist.com/community/englishresearch
      There are 4 messages in this issue.
      Topics in this digest:
      1. Re: NEW IGI
      From: "Judith Hall" <glenidol@...>
      2. PETER SMITH -CERTIFICATE FELLOW
      From: jreakes@...
      3. chat
      From: "Bernice" <bjfh@...>
      4. MY COLUMNS 6 AND 7
      From: "jreakes" <jreakes@...>
      Message: 1
      Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 14:21:03 -0000
      From: "Judith Hall" <glenidol@...>
      Subject: Re: NEW IGI
      I dropped in to a couple of LDS centres to see how things work and
      discovered it's very PC oriented. What about us Apple Mac fanatics? Are
      we to be forced to use some ghastly Soft Windows/Virtual PC program in
      order to access the various CDs etc? Even the PAF program seems to have
      dropped off putting out a Mac version a while back as far as I can see.
      Roll on internet access I say, at least that way it becomes generic.
      Judith (Goldfinch) Hall

      yep judith! We are controlled by the world banks and big brothers. Gates doesn't have much in the way of control of Apple does he? Nothing much in genealogy goes for a MAC. Seems as if thats going the school way and PCs the genies way, We just get bulldozed into everything look at the GST how many voted for that?
      Anyway, sorry about that but even I have been conditioned to only think PC. :-)
      JANET
      Message: 2
      Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 10:19:46 -0000
      From: jreakes@...
      Subject: PETER SMITH -CERTIFICATE FELLOW
      This is the contact details of Peter Smith, whos excellent for cheap
      certs.
      Peter D. Smith
      38 Leasway
      WICKFORD
      Essex SS12 OHE
      ENGLAND
      Email: genfind730@...
      Tel.: (44) 01268 732791
      Fax: (44) 01268 476537
      he charges Aust $26 if ref number is known
      Message: 3
      Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 11:29:51 +1100
      From: "Bernice" <bjfh@...>
      Subject: chat
      Good morning.Tis Bernice here,seems my membership to Yahoo was not approved in time for last nights chat.How did it go?Have a nice day.
      DONT WORRY I'M TRYING AGAIN NEXT MONDAY AT 7.30PM. QLD TIME
      Bye
      JANET
      Message: 4
      Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 18:13:53 +1000
      From: "jreakes" <jreakes@...>
      Subject: MY COLUMNS 6 AND 7
      I am reprinting here my next 2 columns because of the interesting
      content.
      Lots of interesting things happening in the genealogy world. The
      biggest is the news that will especially interest country people.
      I convey this to you with no authority but just in the passing on of
      verbal information given to me by a reliable LDS spokesperson.
      As you know The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has the
      world's largest genealogy collection. It is accessible to us in
      Australia through approx 120 Family History Centres.
      However, for some people in means a long car ride to their closest
      Church.
      The Church leaders have decided to try out using `agents' to allow
      easier access to the microfilms without the long distance driving and
      the pressure of starting and staffing new centres.
      Agents will be granted a license to circulate films from the Church's
      collection of over 2 million rolls of film
      Agents may be public libraries or reputable family history societies
      who may have the microfilm reading facilities and would like to apply
      as an agent. For example, Moree Public library may become an agent,
      meaning all the people in that district need only go into Moree
      instead of driving all the way to Tamworth or Dubbo. Think of the
      savings in petrol, time, speeding fines and kangaroo hits.
      Of course, the agent will need to purchase microfilm readers capable
      of reading both 16mm and 35mm films. A lens for 48x would also be
      needed. Microfilm readers are NOT cheap..
      One of the conditions of granting a license is that the price of film
      rental must the same as currently being charged to patrons using the
      Church's FHC's .
      The agent would therefore be providing a service. A spin off for
      Family History Groups may be increased membership.
      This is a worldwide pilot project that if successful it may be
      extended to other institutions in the near future. The Society of
      Genealogists in Sydney is the first organisation to
      trial this arrangement in Auustralia.
      To get the full details and send an expression of interest contact Mr
      Napoleon Trujillo, The Family History Dept, The Church of Jesus Christ
      of Latter-day Saints, PO Box 2723
      Carlingford Court NSW 2118 email: TrujilloGN@...
      Don�t forget that my first on-line correspondence course via
      http://www.Myfamily.com commences on the 14th March and covers English
      certificates, census and parish registers. It is a self paced course
      so if you miss the 14th you can still get in later.
      Til next time, Happy Hunting
      JANET REAKES, Accredited Genealogist GSU (Aust & England) DIP.Fam
      Hist. Studies; Professional Genealogy and Adoption Counsellor and
      Researcher; Author and Lecturer. PO Box 937, Hervey Bay Qld 4655
      email jreakesfamilytreeresearch.net
      FAMILY TREE COLUMN 7 -
      More interesting news. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
      is releasing a new Addendum to the International Genealogy Index (IGI)
      in April. It will contain an extra 14 million names. This will be the
      second and last Addendum as it is anticipated that some time in the
      future the Addendums will be amalgamated and the IGI will be
      reproduced into one set.
      The Church is also releasing shortly the 1880 US Census on CD-ROM. It
      will contain 50 million names and will be in the format of the 1881
      Census. A national index will be produced with 7 regional area
      indexes. There is no price yet nor release date and when I know it
      will be on my website and also I will mention it in this column. When
      ordering LDS CD ROMs don�t go through the LDS Internet site on-line
      shopping as its US dollars and you know how much extra that is!! You
      can get the CDs through the Church�s Distribution Centre, PO Box 2723
      Carlingford Court 2118. Tel : 02 9841 5447 or 9841 5423. Credit cards
      accepted.
      The US 1880 census will benefit one name studies and also looking for
      the brother who migrated to America. Many families were split with
      migration, US, Australia, Sth Africa, Canada and New Zealand being the
      major draw cards
      In line with the Vital Records already released for Britain,
      Australia; Western Europe; USA and Mexico the Church is also about to
      release the Scandinavian Vital Records on CD ROM. This will cover
      Sweden, Denmark, Norway and Finland and will contain approximately
      4.6million names. Sweden has the most at nearly 1.5million entries and
      Denmark with over a million. It�s on 7 CDs. No price or release date
      yet. As the Church holds its Annual General Conference on the first
      weekend in April, I wouldn�t be surprised if these releases are
      announced then.
      A new release that is available right now is the Freedman�s Bank
      Records but as it�s all to do with freed Negro slaves it probably
      doesn�t interest us, however, it�s apparently a big deal in the USA.
      The Church has also now released Vol 1-15 of the Pedigree Resource
      File. A miscellaneous goldmine of names in family tree lineage format.
      I�m on CD ROM. Have you contributed yet? More about this in another
      column.
      Lastly, I read about this site in Ancestor Magazine this month. It�s
      worth paying a visit if you have Victorian ancestry as you may be in
      line for a lost inheritance. Visit the site of the Public Trustee
      Office at http://www.statetrustees.com.au and see if you are
      eligible.