MY COLUMNS 6 AND 7

  • jreakes
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 6, 2001
      I am reprinting here my next 2 columns because of the interesting
      content.
      Lots of interesting things happening in the genealogy world. The
      biggest is the news that will especially interest country people.
      I convey this to you with no authority but just in the passing on of
      verbal information given to me by a reliable LDS spokesperson.
      As you know The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has the
      world's largest genealogy collection. It is accessible to us in
      Australia through approx 120 Family History Centres.
      However, for some people in means a long car ride to their closest
      Church.
      The Church leaders have decided to try out using `agents' to allow
      easier access to the microfilms without the long distance driving and
      the pressure of starting and staffing new centres.

      Agents will be granted a license to circulate films from the Church's
      collection of over 2 million rolls of film

      Agents may be public libraries or reputable family history societies
      who may have the microfilm reading facilities and would like to apply
      as an agent. For example, Moree Public library may become an agent,
      meaning all the people in that district need only go into Moree
      instead of driving all the way to Tamworth or Dubbo. Think of the
      savings in petrol, time, speeding fines and kangaroo hits.
      Of course, the agent will need to purchase microfilm readers capable
      of reading both 16mm and 35mm films. A lens for 48x would also be
      needed. Microfilm readers are NOT cheap..

      One of the conditions of granting a license is that the price of film
      rental must the same as currently being charged to patrons using the
      Church's FHC's .

      The agent would therefore be providing a service. A spin off for
      Family History Groups may be increased membership.

      This is a worldwide pilot project that if successful it may be
      extended to other institutions in the near future. The Society of
      Genealogists in Sydney is the first organisation to
      trial this arrangement in Auustralia.

      To get the full details and send an expression of interest contact Mr
      Napoleon Trujillo, The Family History Dept, The Church of Jesus Christ
      of Latter-day Saints, PO Box 2723
      Carlingford Court NSW 2118 email: TrujilloGN@...

      Don’t forget that my first on-line correspondence course via
      http://www.Myfamily.com commences on the 14th March and covers English
      certificates, census and parish registers. It is a self paced course
      so if you miss the 14th you can still get in later.
      Til next time, Happy Hunting

      JANET REAKES, Accredited Genealogist GSU (Aust & England) DIP.Fam
      Hist. Studies; Professional Genealogy and Adoption Counsellor and
      Researcher; Author and Lecturer. PO Box 937, Hervey Bay Qld 4655
      email jreakesfamilytreeresearch.net

      FAMILY TREE COLUMN 7 -

      More interesting news. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
      is releasing a new Addendum to the International Genealogy Index (IGI)
      in April. It will contain an extra 14 million names. This will be the
      second and last Addendum as it is anticipated that some time in the
      future the Addendums will be amalgamated and the IGI will be
      reproduced into one set.

      The Church is also releasing shortly the 1880 US Census on CD-ROM. It
      will contain 50 million names and will be in the format of the 1881
      Census. A national index will be produced with 7 regional area
      indexes. There is no price yet nor release date and when I know it
      will be on my website and also I will mention it in this column. When
      ordering LDS CD ROMs don’t go through the LDS Internet site on-line
      shopping as its US dollars and you know how much extra that is!! You
      can get the CDs through the Church’s Distribution Centre, PO Box 2723
      Carlingford Court 2118. Tel : 02 9841 5447 or 9841 5423. Credit cards
      accepted.

      The US 1880 census will benefit one name studies and also looking for
      the brother who migrated to America. Many families were split with
      migration, US, Australia, Sth Africa, Canada and New Zealand being the
      major draw cards

      In line with the Vital Records already released for Britain,
      Australia; Western Europe; USA and Mexico the Church is also about to
      release the Scandinavian Vital Records on CD ROM. This will cover
      Sweden, Denmark, Norway and Finland and will contain approximately
      4.6million names. Sweden has the most at nearly 1.5million entries and
      Denmark with over a million. It’s on 7 CDs. No price or release date
      yet. As the Church holds its Annual General Conference on the first
      weekend in April, I wouldn’t be surprised if these releases are
      announced then.

      A new release that is available right now is the Freedman’s Bank
      Records but as it’s all to do with freed Negro slaves it probably
      doesn’t interest us, however, it’s apparently a big deal in the USA.

      The Church has also now released Vol 1-15 of the Pedigree Resource
      File. A miscellaneous goldmine of names in family tree lineage format.
      I’m on CD ROM. Have you contributed yet? More about this in another
      column.

      Lastly, I read about this site in Ancestor Magazine this month. It’s
      worth paying a visit if you have Victorian ancestry as you may be in
      line for a lost inheritance. Visit the site of the Public Trustee
      Office at http://www.statetrustees.com.au and see if you are
      eligible.