SOME INTERESTING NEWS

  • jreakes@familytreeresearch.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 2, 2001
      I am delighted to relay a very interesting development in the
      genealogy world, which will really assist you people living in
      country areas especially.
      As you know the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints nicknamed
      LDS or Mormon (but prefers the full name) has over 100 Family history
      centres throughout Australia. In fact we have more per head of pop
      then any other country so we're not doing too bad! However as it
      costs quite a lot to set up these libraries and then quite a bit of
      manpower to staff them, the Church has decided to experiment with
      agents. The first `agent' is the Society of Australian Genealogists
      in Sydney.
      The SAGs will be able to `hire' in the parish registers and other
      microfilms for people as with the LDS Library. THEY ARE NOT ALLOWED
      TO EARN ANY INCOME FROM IT SO THAT THE PRICE WILL REMAIN THE SAME
      WHEREEVER YOU GO.
      This will be brilliant for people living in country areas where there
      is no LDS library as your public library or genealogy society may be
      eligible as an agent. That means, for example someone in Moree
      instead of driving to Tamworth, could go local.

      Now I have no authority over this and I also have some more
      information coming in around Monday or Tuesday on some other
      interesting developments which I will try to get word perfect.
      So dont inquire with me but I suggest you write to Mr Napoleon
      Trujillo, PO Box 2723, Carlingford Court 2118 to put your name on the
      list as a possible agent. This of course would only be applicable for
      libraries and family history groups not individuals.
      Bye
      Janet