Re: [englishresearch] Assize info

  • linda ferguson
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 27, 2001
      Hi Rosemary,

      Thanks for the info and in addition they last for about 5 weeks if I
      remember rightly (the assize sittings), also I found out that at one time
      for a capital crime there was a time limit of only 30 mins for each case and
      they could hear between 20 and 50 cases a day. Poor defendants and poor
      judges.
      The question was asked in the first place as there was a difference of a
      month on records e.g. date of trial 16 March 1829 and date of sentence 16
      Apr 1829, so I didn't know if this was an error in the records or if it had
      been a month from trial to sentence. I have a tendency to think it was an
      error but was just trying to make sure.

      Cheers
      Linda Ferguson
      Brisbane