Where do I go next?

  • David Steel
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 8, 2000
      I have spent over thirty years researching my roots but it was not
      until a friend asked for assistance that I realised that I have
      never, ever had occasion to search Australian records.
      Consequently, I don't know where to look, and hope that someone can
      help me.

      The problem is this. My friend's ancestor arrived at Port Adelaide
      on the Star Queen in December 1854. However, the passenger list is
      silent as to where he hailed from, and as to what his occupation
      was. He is well documented since his arrival; his marriage
      certificate has been obtained as have birth certificates of his
      children. Land transactions have been checked, also his death
      certificate, but none of these give any clue as to which town or
      county in England he was from.

      Any suggestions please.

      ===============================
      David Steel <dsteel@...>
      Adelaide, South Australia
      15,500 entries and 100 visits a day - the GLS Surnames List at
      <http://www2.tpg.com.au/users/dsteel/glsnames.htm>
    • Kathy & Phil Creer
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 8, 2000
        Hello David
        Unfortunately, South Australian BDMs give very little useful info. However,
        if this man was an assisted immigrant he may just appear in the Pike's Index
        . This Index gives residence, marital status , occupation and the name of
        the agent who is sponsoring the immigration.
        If you give me a name i can check this index for you. I get into the library
        every second week or so and would be happy to have a look if you are not in
        a hurry.
        It might also be worth having a look in the Biographical Index of South
        Australia 1836-1885. Not a complete publication but certainly worth
        checking.
        Cheers,
        Kathy Creer
        Adelaide, AUS
        reply to kathy.creer@...

        > I have spent over thirty years researching my roots but it was not
        > until a friend asked for assistance that I realised that I have
        > never, ever had occasion to search Australian records.
        > Consequently, I don't know where to look, and hope that someone can
        > help me.
        >
        > The problem is this. My friend's ancestor arrived at Port Adelaide
        > on the Star Queen in December 1854. However, the passenger list is
        > silent as to where he hailed from, and as to what his occupation
        > was. He is well documented since his arrival; his marriage
        > certificate has been obtained as have birth certificates of his
        > children. Land transactions have been checked, also his death
        > certificate, but none of these give any clue as to which town or
        > county in England he was from.
        >
        > Any suggestions please.
        >

        > ===============================
        > David Steel <dsteel@...>
        > Adelaide, South Australia
        > 15,500 entries and 100 visits a day - the GLS Surnames List at
        > <http://www2.tpg.com.au/users/dsteel/glsnames.htm>

        > Want To Be Showered With Kisses?
        > Visit eGroups Valentine Gift Guide

      • Janet Reakes
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 9, 2000
          Best idea David or anyone, is to put in a name so we have a better
          understanding of the problem and you might even pick up a relative. So what
          names are we looking at?
          bye
          Sent: Tuesday, 8 February 2000 4:45

          > From: "David Steel" <dsteel@...>
          >
          > The problem is this. My friend's ancestor arrived at Port Adelaide
          > on the Star Queen in December 1854. However, the passenger list is
          > silent as to where he hailed from, and as to what his occupation
          > was. He is well documented since his arrival; his marriage
          > certificate has been obtained as have birth certificates of his
          > children. Land transactions have been checked, also his death
          > certificate, but none of these give any clue as to which town or
          > county in England he was from.
          >
          > Any suggestions please.
          >

          > ===============================
          > David Steel <dsteel@...>
          > Adelaide, South Australia
          > 15,500 entries and 100 visits a day - the GLS Surnames List at
          > <http://www2.tpg.com.au/users/dsteel/glsnames.htm>

          > Want To Be Showered With Kisses?
          > Visit eGroups Valentine Gift Guide

        • The Sterlings
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 9, 2000
            Hi Kathy...Would you be so kind as to look in the Pike's Index to see if a
            William Johnston FERGUSON or a Mary Kellow MUNDAY is mentioned. They
            married in SA in1884 (both were born in the UK) and migrated on to NZ. As
            yet have not been able to find when they arrived in SA or when they left for
            NZ. Cheers, Deidre Sterling (Whangarei NZ)

            > Unfortunately, South Australian BDMs give very little useful info.
            However,
            > if this man was an assisted immigrant he may just appear in the Pike's
            > . This Index gives residence, marital status , occupation and the name of
            > the agent who is sponsoring the immigration.
            > If you give me a name i can check this index for you. I get into the
            library
            > every second week or so and would be happy to have a look if you are not
            in
            > a hurry.
            > It might also be worth having a look in the Biographical Index of South
            > Australia 1836-1885. Not a complete publication but certainly worth
            > checking.
            > Cheers,
            > Kathy Creer
            > Adelaide, AUS
            > reply to kathy.creer@...

          • Kathy & Phil Creer
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 10, 2000
              Hi Diedre
              I would be more than happy to do the lookup for you. I just hope it isn't
              urgent. Due to work commitments I won't be able to get in to the library
              until next week; hopefully Tuesday but may be as late as Friday.
              Cheers,
              Kathy Creer
              Adelaide, AUS
              reply to kathy.creer@...

              > Hi Kathy...Would you be so kind as to look in the Pike's Index to see if a
              > William Johnston FERGUSON or a Mary Kellow MUNDAY is mentioned. They
              > married in SA in1884 (both were born in the UK) and migrated on to NZ. As
              > yet have not been able to find when they arrived in SA or when they left
              for
              > NZ. Cheers, Deidre Sterling (Whangarei NZ)

            • The Sterlings
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 13, 2000
                Hi Kathy...that would be great, I shall await with baited breath :o)))
                Deidre