WWII

  • Elliottt
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 21, 2001
      Hi! I am new to the list. I am searching for someone who could take a picture of a monument at Cambridge, England. A friend's uncle was killed in action in WWII and the following is the information I just found. This was from the Database of World War II and Korean Conflict Veterans Interred Overseas.

      ROBERTSON, Donald F.
      Inducted from Oregon
      Technical Sergeant
      401st Bomber Squadron 91st Bomber
      Date of Death: Aug 17, 1943
      Monument at Cambridge, England
      WW2KW-US Awards: Purple Heart Medal, Air Medal, Additional Army Awards

      I do not have any other information, don't know if the monument at Cambridge is only for the ones on his plane or for a whole group. Would need to know in advance cost of person doing this for us.

      Thanking you in advance for any help. Betty Elliott in USA

    • Judith Hall
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 26, 2001
        Recently- I think attached to the Kent Family History site - I saw a UK
        page where a chap was willing to drive about taking photos and he had
        his price per however many photos etc which at the time I thought was
        interesting for those who haven't got anyone in the UK or haven't got
        time to visiting to do it themselves. When I get a minute I'll have a
        search to see if I can find it again. Didn't bother bookmarking for
        myself.
        Jude Hall
      • Fred
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 27, 2001
          Dear Elliott, I have a very good friend who lives at Cambridge and will do
          it for you with the greatest of pleasure. I have been there and seen the
          magnificient memorial to all those brave young men who were so happy and
          carefree and gave their lives taht we might be free from tyranny. My friends
          name is Mrs. Norma Clare and Email address is norma.clare@...
          Best Wishes fred from Australia. Original Message -----

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 27, 2001
            Further to my earlier memo .... this is the UK site of the chap who is
            willing to move about taking pictures he says to defray his genealogy
            costs.....

            http://www.digiserve.com/peter/camera.htm

            Hope this is a help....Jude Hall
          • Margaret Usmar
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 27, 2001
              Hi

              I know of the person of whose services you refer, and he is expensive. Go
              through local veterans association, and they should be able to contact the
              local (Cambridge, England) branch of the British Legion. Also, annual
              Remembrance Day parades are held at all UK war memorials, and photographs of
              local press.

              I am a member of our British Legion branch here in Kent; they have always
              been very helpful.

              Regards,

              Margaret Usmar
              > Recently- I think attached to the Kent Family History site - I saw a UK
              > page where a chap was willing to drive about taking photos and he had
              > his price per however many photos etc which at the time I thought was
              > interesting for those who haven't got anyone in the UK or haven't got
              > time to visiting to do it themselves. When I get a minute I'll have a
              > search to see if I can find it again. Didn't bother bookmarking for
              > myself.
              > Jude Hall

            • Elliottt
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 1 8:03 AM
                Thanks, Margaret. We will persue it from here in USA. Appreciate your
                advice. Have now found what plot, row, number of grave on another web site.
                Also have his identification number. So with more information it should be
                easier to find his grave. Thanks again, Betty Elliott, Oregon, USA

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/