Re: [englishresearch] CHAT

  • Rosa Hocking
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 21 3:46 PM
      Hi Janet - I can hardly wait! Go for it!!! Rosa
    • LTFreem@aol.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 21 4:47 PM
        chat sounds good to me

        Leslie
      • joan lane
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 22 12:22 AM
          Chat sessions sound a great idea
          Joan

          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 7, 2001
            Hi Janet, I enjoyed the chat on monday night, I am ausborgau, will join in again when I return from holiday. Thanks for details of Peter Smith, and help with other questions. Jane.

            Community email addresses:
            Post message: englishresearch@onelist.com
            Subscribe: englishresearch-subscribe@onelist.com
            Shortcut URL to this page:
            http://www.onelist.com/community/englishresearch
            There are 4 messages in this issue.
            Topics in this digest:
            1. Re: NEW IGI
            From: "Judith Hall" <glenidol@...>
            2. PETER SMITH -CERTIFICATE FELLOW
            From: jreakes@...
            3. chat
            From: "Bernice" <bjfh@...>
            4. MY COLUMNS 6 AND 7
            From: "jreakes" <jreakes@...>
            Message: 1
            Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 14:21:03 -0000
            From: "Judith Hall" <glenidol@...>
            Subject: Re: NEW IGI
            I dropped in to a couple of LDS centres to see how things work and
            discovered it's very PC oriented. What about us Apple Mac fanatics? Are
            we to be forced to use some ghastly Soft Windows/Virtual PC program in
            order to access the various CDs etc? Even the PAF program seems to have
            dropped off putting out a Mac version a while back as far as I can see.
            Roll on internet access I say, at least that way it becomes generic.
            Judith (Goldfinch) Hall

            yep judith! We are controlled by the world banks and big brothers. Gates doesn't have much in the way of control of Apple does he? Nothing much in genealogy goes for a MAC. Seems as if thats going the school way and PCs the genies way, We just get bulldozed into everything look at the GST how many voted for that?
            Anyway, sorry about that but even I have been conditioned to only think PC. :-)
            JANET
            Message: 2
            Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 10:19:46 -0000
            From: jreakes@...
            Subject: PETER SMITH -CERTIFICATE FELLOW
            This is the contact details of Peter Smith, whos excellent for cheap
            certs.
            Peter D. Smith
            38 Leasway
            WICKFORD
            Essex SS12 OHE
            ENGLAND
            Email: genfind730@...
            Tel.: (44) 01268 732791
            Fax: (44) 01268 476537
            he charges Aust $26 if ref number is known
            Message: 3
            Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 11:29:51 +1100
            From: "Bernice" <bjfh@...>
            Subject: chat
            Good morning.Tis Bernice here,seems my membership to Yahoo was not approved in time for last nights chat.How did it go?Have a nice day.
            DONT WORRY I'M TRYING AGAIN NEXT MONDAY AT 7.30PM. QLD TIME
            Bye
            JANET
            Message: 4
            Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 18:13:53 +1000
            From: "jreakes" <jreakes@...>
            Subject: MY COLUMNS 6 AND 7
            I am reprinting here my next 2 columns because of the interesting
            content.
            Lots of interesting things happening in the genealogy world. The
            biggest is the news that will especially interest country people.
            I convey this to you with no authority but just in the passing on of
            verbal information given to me by a reliable LDS spokesperson.
            As you know The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has the
            world's largest genealogy collection. It is accessible to us in
            Australia through approx 120 Family History Centres.
            However, for some people in means a long car ride to their closest
            Church.
            The Church leaders have decided to try out using `agents' to allow
            easier access to the microfilms without the long distance driving and
            the pressure of starting and staffing new centres.
            Agents will be granted a license to circulate films from the Church's
            collection of over 2 million rolls of film
            Agents may be public libraries or reputable family history societies
            who may have the microfilm reading facilities and would like to apply
            as an agent. For example, Moree Public library may become an agent,
            meaning all the people in that district need only go into Moree
            instead of driving all the way to Tamworth or Dubbo. Think of the
            savings in petrol, time, speeding fines and kangaroo hits.
            Of course, the agent will need to purchase microfilm readers capable
            of reading both 16mm and 35mm films. A lens for 48x would also be
            needed. Microfilm readers are NOT cheap..
            One of the conditions of granting a license is that the price of film
            rental must the same as currently being charged to patrons using the
            Church's FHC's .
            The agent would therefore be providing a service. A spin off for
            Family History Groups may be increased membership.
            This is a worldwide pilot project that if successful it may be
            extended to other institutions in the near future. The Society of
            Genealogists in Sydney is the first organisation to
            trial this arrangement in Auustralia.
            To get the full details and send an expression of interest contact Mr
            Napoleon Trujillo, The Family History Dept, The Church of Jesus Christ
            of Latter-day Saints, PO Box 2723
            Carlingford Court NSW 2118 email: TrujilloGN@...
            Don�t forget that my first on-line correspondence course via
            http://www.Myfamily.com commences on the 14th March and covers English
            certificates, census and parish registers. It is a self paced course
            so if you miss the 14th you can still get in later.
            Til next time, Happy Hunting
            JANET REAKES, Accredited Genealogist GSU (Aust & England) DIP.Fam
            Hist. Studies; Professional Genealogy and Adoption Counsellor and
            Researcher; Author and Lecturer. PO Box 937, Hervey Bay Qld 4655
            email jreakesfamilytreeresearch.net
            FAMILY TREE COLUMN 7 -
            More interesting news. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
            is releasing a new Addendum to the International Genealogy Index (IGI)
            in April. It will contain an extra 14 million names. This will be the
            second and last Addendum as it is anticipated that some time in the
            future the Addendums will be amalgamated and the IGI will be
            reproduced into one set.
            The Church is also releasing shortly the 1880 US Census on CD-ROM. It
            will contain 50 million names and will be in the format of the 1881
            Census. A national index will be produced with 7 regional area
            indexes. There is no price yet nor release date and when I know it
            will be on my website and also I will mention it in this column. When
            ordering LDS CD ROMs don�t go through the LDS Internet site on-line
            shopping as its US dollars and you know how much extra that is!! You
            can get the CDs through the Church�s Distribution Centre, PO Box 2723
            Carlingford Court 2118. Tel : 02 9841 5447 or 9841 5423. Credit cards
            accepted.
            The US 1880 census will benefit one name studies and also looking for
            the brother who migrated to America. Many families were split with
            migration, US, Australia, Sth Africa, Canada and New Zealand being the
            major draw cards
            In line with the Vital Records already released for Britain,
            Australia; Western Europe; USA and Mexico the Church is also about to
            release the Scandinavian Vital Records on CD ROM. This will cover
            Sweden, Denmark, Norway and Finland and will contain approximately
            4.6million names. Sweden has the most at nearly 1.5million entries and
            Denmark with over a million. It�s on 7 CDs. No price or release date
            yet. As the Church holds its Annual General Conference on the first
            weekend in April, I wouldn�t be surprised if these releases are
            announced then.
            A new release that is available right now is the Freedman�s Bank
            Records but as it�s all to do with freed Negro slaves it probably
            doesn�t interest us, however, it�s apparently a big deal in the USA.
            The Church has also now released Vol 1-15 of the Pedigree Resource
            File. A miscellaneous goldmine of names in family tree lineage format.
            I�m on CD ROM. Have you contributed yet? More about this in another
            column.
            Lastly, I read about this site in Ancestor Magazine this month. It�s
            worth paying a visit if you have Victorian ancestry as you may be in
            line for a lost inheritance. Visit the site of the Public Trustee
            Office at http://www.statetrustees.com.au and see if you are
            eligible.