How do I?

  • Trudi Pratt
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 13, 2000
      Hi. This is my first message to this list so please forgive me
      if my format is off.

      My problem is that with the help of the LDS I have taken one
      branch of my family in Devon back three generations from
      where I have documented proof. What I need to do now is
      prove these new links. My guess is I will have to buy some
      certificates. The problem is everywhere I have looked about
      purchasing certificates wants the GRO reference number.
      How do I get that when I live in a small country town in Australia?
      Can anyone tell me? Also can anyone recommend the best
      way to acquire these certificates. I am not very flush with funds
      so I want to make my purchases count.

      Thanks
      Trudi

      My main names in England are:- ADSETT, ANSELL, BEACROFT,
      BODY, FERRIS,
      KITCHENSIDE,
      MADDOCK, MANNING,
      MASKEY,
      MASTERS, PRATT,
      THORNTON,
      WOODROW, WOODWARD.
      _______________________________________-******
      REPLY FROM LISTOWNER -JANET REAKES

      ANYONE ELSE PLEASE FEEL FREE TO REPLY TO HER

      Obtaining the reference numbers are half the battle and cost. You can get cheap certs by email Peter Smith with your reference numbers and he charges $26 Aussie. He invoices you so dont send money as you send to an Aussie address of a friend of his.
      He is so quick!!
      We have the St Caths indexes up here in Hervey Bay, and some of the larger LDS libraries have them too, They are not easy to search and each year is 4 fiche as they represent the 4 quarters. A five year search = 20 fiche!!
      The Hervey Bay Family History Group do a look up service.
      email bevclose@...
      Peters details are
      Peter D. Smith
      38 Leasway
      WICKFORD
      Essex SS12 OHE
      ENGLAND
      Email: genfind730@...
      Tel.: (44) 01268 732791
      Fax: (44) 01268 476537

      I also have a book called CERTIFICATES AND CENSUS which will help you. Visit my web site and click on link to `MY BOOKS'
      Bye

      GOOD LUCK
    • Linda Ferguson
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 28, 2000
        Hi Trudi,
        There is a group called freeBMD who are transcribing the St Cath's
        indexes and placing them on the net. They have a small
        (comparatively) number of the indexes on the net so it may be worth
        your while to have a look at them. You can get to the site through
        rootsweb - unfortunately I don't have the address at the moment,
        maybe someone else could pass it on to you (I have always found it
        through my search engine)
        Hope this helps
        Linda

        NOTE FROM JANET - You can access this group by going to my webpage under http://www.familytreeresearch.net and click on m link for OTHERING INTERESTING SITES.

        --- In englishresearch@egroups.com, "Trudi Pratt" <trudi@h...> wrote:
        > Hi. This is my first message to this list so please forgive me
        > if my format is off.
        >
        > My problem is that with the help of the LDS I have taken one
        > branch of my family in Devon back three generations from
        > where I have documented proof. What I need to do now is
        > prove these new links. My guess is I will have to buy some
        > certificates. The problem is everywhere I have looked about
        > purchasing certificates wants the GRO reference number.
        > How do I get that when I live in a small country town in Australia?
        > Can anyone tell me? Also can anyone recommend the best
        > way to acquire these certificates. I am not very flush with funds
        > so I want to make my purchases count.
        >
        > Thanks
        > Trudi
        >
        > My main names in England are:- ADSETT, ANSELL, BEACROFT,
        > BODY,
        FERRIS,
        > KITCHENSIDE,
        > MADDOCK,