Re: Newcastle

  • Carol Childs
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 4, 2000
      Hi Bridget & other kind persons who replied to my e-mail,

      My husband's gggrandmother, Hannah Hancock, was convicted at Staffordshire
      of stealing from her mistress and transported as a convict to Tasmania on
      the Royal Admiral in 1842. On documents obtained from tne Tasmanian
      Archives it is stated that Hannah was born "near Newcastle" but nothing more
      specific. Hannah was born abt 1824 but I can't find her in the IGI. I
      would very much appreciate any suggestions about where to look further. I
      have already obtained all the convict documents held by the Tas Archives.

      Once again, many thanks.

      Carol
    • Stuart Raymond
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 10, 2000
        Carol

        If Hannah was convicted at Staffordshire (do you mean Stafford or
        Staffordshire? - the one is the town, the other the county) then the
        likelihood is that the Newcastle referred to is Newcastle under Lyme,
        which is just 15 miles away from the county town. I think I would be
        checking the census schedules for villages in the area of Newcastle in
        1841 - or even (I wonder) check the census for the county gaol, which I
        would imagine would have been in Stafford) If transported in 1842 she
        may well have been in prison in 1841.

        Stuart Raymond, Genealogical Bibliographer, Publisher & Bookseller
        P.O.Box 35, Exeter, EX1 3YZ, U.K. stuart@...
        Ph.
        (01392) 252193
        Visit http://www.soft.net.uk/samjraymond/igb.htm for British
        genealogical
        books.
        To join the mailing list genealogyuk go to
        http://www.onelist.com/subscribe.cgi/genealogyuk