Re:Alias's

  • Eilleen Ovenden
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 3, 2000
      Hello Janet and congratulations on your new list.
      I have often been going to write and seek your advice on the following:
      I have James OVENDEN alias BIRCH marrying Mary WOODWARD in Ramsgate Kent
      1799. Both the Parish Register and Bishops Transcript read the above.
      Problem, who was James OVENDEN alias Birch. He married twice though all
      his children were born to his first wife, all of them were baptised
      Ovenden and nowhere does the name Birch appear again in the family.
      He died in Thanet (Kent) Workhouse in 1855, In the 1851 census he
      stated he was born at Woodnesborough but perhaps this was entered by the
      people you were responsible for the Workhouse. I have checked the
      parish records of the surrounding parishes and not found either a James
      Ovenden or James Birch baptism. He was born about 1776/77 according to
      census information. I have tried to check admission records
      for the Workhouse via LDS centres but had no success in locating a film
      to cover this. I have no further ideas on how to overcome my problem.
      Can you give me some guidance?
      Eilleen