Newcastle

  • Carol Childs
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 24, 2000
      Could SKS tell me in which English county could I find Newcastle. Many
      thanks in advance.

      Carol,
      Mackay, Qld
    • Carol Childs
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 4, 2000
        Hi Bridget & other kind persons who replied to my e-mail,

        My husband's gggrandmother, Hannah Hancock, was convicted at Staffordshire
        of stealing from her mistress and transported as a convict to Tasmania on
        the Royal Admiral in 1842. On documents obtained from tne Tasmanian
        Archives it is stated that Hannah was born "near Newcastle" but nothing more
        specific. Hannah was born abt 1824 but I can't find her in the IGI. I
        would very much appreciate any suggestions about where to look further. I
        have already obtained all the convict documents held by the Tas Archives.

        Once again, many thanks.

        Carol
      • Stuart Raymond
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 10, 2000
          Carol

          If Hannah was convicted at Staffordshire (do you mean Stafford or
          Staffordshire? - the one is the town, the other the county) then the
          likelihood is that the Newcastle referred to is Newcastle under Lyme,
          which is just 15 miles away from the county town. I think I would be
          checking the census schedules for villages in the area of Newcastle in
          1841 - or even (I wonder) check the census for the county gaol, which I
          would imagine would have been in Stafford) If transported in 1842 she
          may well have been in prison in 1841.

          Stuart Raymond, Genealogical Bibliographer, Publisher & Bookseller
          P.O.Box 35, Exeter, EX1 3YZ, U.K. stuart@...
          Ph.
          (01392) 252193
          Visit http://www.soft.net.uk/samjraymond/igb.htm for British
          genealogical
          books.
          To join the mailing list genealogyuk go to
          http://www.onelist.com/subscribe.cgi/genealogyuk