A couple of things

  • Janet Reakes
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2000
      Hi everyone, a little collection of bits and pieces again.

      Please note to anyone in the IPSWICH Qld area, that I have been sending my
      syndicated column to your QLD TIMES newspaper now for over a year. They have
      not run it for a few weeks due to lack of space and if they can find room
      they will run it. If you have enjoyed my columns and want to keep up with
      the latest genealogy news, plus tips please email the editor and ask that it
      be re-instated. newspapers are only interested in selling papers. They need
      to know that columns etc are being read. If any of you live in other areas
      where my column is being run please tell your editor if you are enjoying it.

      It never ceases to amaze me the narrow mindedness of newspapers and
      magazines re genealogy. They give us a glut of astrology, cooking, gardening
      and feng shui and lets face it people whats the most important!!
      Genealogy!!!

      I have an article in this months Burke's Backyard Magazine with a glossy
      pull out pedigree chart. I having been trying to get a column in one of the
      magazines. BB at least were interested in a story, perhaps if enough
      interest was shown to them they may also decide to have a column. If you
      genuinely enjoyed the article and agree with me on the need of a national
      column asan outlet for hints, tipos, whats going on, etc then perhaps you
      can nicely thank them and suggest it.

      here is the email to the QLD TIMES qt@...
      here is the email to Burkes Backyard mayah@...

      I have some specials on books you may be interested in. As you know this
      blasted GST is going to send up the costs of books after July 1 and the
      computer programmes so get in now. I have had a few deals with my
      publishers and can offer these specials pre 1st July

      HARD COVERED EDITION OF `HOW TO TRACE YOUR SCOTTISH ANCESTORS - An A-Z
      Approach' Hale and Iremonger. Normally $14.95 now $5 plus $3 p&p

      TRACING AND WRITING THE FAMILY STORY. A TEACHERS BLACKLINE ACTIVITIES BOOK
      8-14yrs course. (really interesting) $5 plus $3p&P

      THE A-Z OF GENEALOGY - A HANDBOOK (My classic book) 4th and latest edition
      (normally $25) now $10 plus $5 pp

      DICTIONARY OF QUEENSLANDERS VOL 1 $5 plus $5 post.

      (please note credit card must be over $10, otherwise send cheques.
      _________________________

      QLD is releasing a further 5 years of births and 5 years of marriages,
      together with the Federation index (on fiche) plus CD-ROM of Pioneer index.
      All this month. The Federation Index will be a consolidated index of BDM
      from 1890 to 1919.
      More on this later.
      ____________________________
      I have a friend who wishes to sell her BDM indexes on CD ROM she is offering
      the following:
      NSW PIONEER - $250 sell $160
      NSW FED - $250 sell $160
      NSW BTW - $250 sell $160
      WA -$250 sell $160
      VIC PIONEERS - $250 sell $160
      OR SET FOR $750 plus $10 post
      She also has volumes 6-13 (8 CDs) of World Family Tree disks from Family
      Tree Maker series @ $10 each =$80
      POSTAGE EXTRA $3 per single CD or with FTM set $10.
      1 Version 6.0 Family Tree Maker Manual $15 plus $5 post (heavy)

      As my friend is overseas at present you can order straight through me on a
      first come basis. For convenience You can pay by credit card over the email
      or by fax 0741 28 4458 and I will fix it up this end.

      Please note that if anyone has any second hand fiche/film/books or CDs and
      wants me to put it over my newsletter or list please email me as I'm happy
      to spread the word.
      ___________________
      yOU MAY WISH TO ALSO CONTACT RICHARD RADLEY 18 Ocean Ave Tweed Heads 07
      55242541 as HE is selling a lot of his books and had a stall at the Coffs
      Harbour Fair I was at last weekend. I purchased a couple of good books from
      him for my own genealogy. He did have the 1828 census, 1837 convict musters
      etc etc. Unfortunately he is not on email.
      ___________________________

      Saw this in the ANCESTOR MAGAZINE and its available from the Societies book
      shop

      SERVICES OF HEIRS IN SCOTLAND 1700-1859 $92 CD-ROM Companion to the RETOURS
      OF SERVICES OF HEIRS 1544-1699 $80 gsv@...

      Haven't seen them but they sound great. I know of the type of records they
      are. Understand first time period is in Latin.

      Also saw this note re VICTORIAN BDMS on Maxi
      The Vic Govt is extending the indexes for Births on MAxi to 1924 and
      marriages to 1939. Death indexes will be extended ont he internet to 1985.
      The aforementioned includes new public releases which at present will only
      be available through the Internet.

      SO ALL EXCITING STUFF.

      _______________
      HAVE FUN

      JANET REAKES
      DIP F.H. Accredited Genealogist GSU (AUSTRALIA & ENGLAND)
      PO BOX 937, HERVEY BAY QLD 4655
      AUSTRALIA
      URL:http;//www.angelfire.com/or/janetreakesadoptions
      subscribe through http://www.onelist.com/subscribe/australiangenealogy/
      JOIN MY FREE ADOPTION & LIVING PEOPLE SEARCH MAILING LIST:
      http://www.onelist.com/subscribe/adopt-livingsearch/
      JOIN MY FREE ENGLISH MAILING LIST Subscribe:
      englishresearch-subscribe@onelist.com