Wigney Family

  • swigney@c2.telstra-mm.net.au
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 16, 2000
      I am researching the "Wigney" name, and they originate from
      Yorkshire, and Brighton in England.
      I have found many Wigneys around the world, Canada, USA, England and
      Australia, and have found they all seem to be related to the Wigneys
      from Yorkshire and Brighton. Issac Newton Wigney owned the Brighton
      Bank and was also a Member of Parliment for Brighton. The bank went
      bankrupt in 1842 from his overspending. His father William left him
      the bank in his will. William also owned a brewery called Wigney&
      Sons which he sold before he died. I have just found a portrait of
      Isaac Newton Wigney in the National Picture Gallery in London, and I
      am hoping to get a digital copy of the Portrait.

      The first Wigney to come out to Australia was George Adolphus Wigney
      who arrived in Victoria in 1852 on the Ship "Statesman". He married
      Amelia Burton in Melbourne in 1854. They had about 8 children all
      born in or around Ballarat. They then moved to Manly NSW in the late
      1800 probably around 1880-1890, and the family have lived around that
      area ever since. Apparently quite a few of Georges relatives came to
      Australia also around 1853, 1856, and alot of the Wigneys living in
      Victoria and Sth Australia now are descendants of these relatives.

      Would love to hear from anyone else researching this name, and would
      love to exchange information.

      Caylie Wigney
      MANLY, NSW