FRENCH/PRENTICE/SIMPSON 1852-1860

  • D.HICK
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 14, 2000
      I would appreciate suggestions on locating information in Australia on my
      PRENTICE/FRENCH family.

      Thomas and Christiana Brash PRENTICE arrived in Australia from Scotland on
      the Helena in 1852 according to the family's bible. They were accompanied
      by both of Christiana's two daughters by her first marriage, Elisa(beth)
      and Christina French.

      A daughter, Margaret, was born aboard the Helena on 22 July 1852 and died
      03 October 1852 in Australia. I found the arrival of a ship called Helena
      in September 1852 and if this trip would take 3 months or so then this is
      their arrival date.

      Thomas and Christiana had three more children in Australia before going to
      California in late 1860 or early 1861.

      1. Thomas PRENTICE was born 16 July 1853 and died 24 March 1854 or 1855
      2. A second son named Thomas PRENTICE was born 21 March 1855 and died 1
      August 1860.
      3. The last son, James B. PRENTICE was born October 1857.

      James lived to go to California with his parents and Christina French and
      had 10-12 children of his own.

      Elisa(beth) French married a SIMPSON of Australia. The family story is
      that Elisa(beth) went to French Camp, San Joaquin County, California before
      the rest of the PRENTICE family and Thomas and Christiana followed. When
      they arrived in California, they found that Elisa(beth) had been murdered,
      whether by indians, her husband, or her stepchildren.

      How would I find death certificates or anything else on the children of my
      great-great grandmother? Any information on any of my puzzle pieces would
      be greatly appreciated. I have considerable documentation on Thomas and
      Christiana's descendants in American which I would happily share.

      Thank you in advance,

      Cris
      Stockton, California