Re: [englishresearch] SAINSBURY FAMILY

  • Maureen
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 12, 2000
      Hi Sam,

      You can find information at the State Library of Queensland (or any state
      library) they have the indexes of the major shipping lists.......there are
      also lists of German immigrants etc.

      It reads: You may first find an ancestor was born overseas from a birth,
      death or marriage certificate. This leads a researcher to immigration
      records which in the 19 century took the form of shipping lists.

      More information exists for assisted passengers but the amouth varies
      according to the period and the Colony/State. Information provided may
      include: name, age, place of birth, occupation, religion, marital status,
      parent's names, and whether the parents were alive, father's occupation and
      ability to read and write.
      However often only a name and age may be provided.

      The lists are in years 1828 onward...

      Hope this helps
      Maureen