IGI UPDATED

  • janet reakes
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 27, 2002
      This is interesting from LDS web site

      Updated International Genealogical Index
      A new version of the International Genealogical Index is now available
      on the FamilySearch Internet Genealogy Service (FamilySearch
      Internet). This new version contains the following enhancements:
      More Names. More names have been added to the index. These names were
      received since the last release in January 2000.

      Regular updates. The index will be updated as new information is
      received. Note: There are no current plans to update the International
      Genealogical Index on compact disc.

      Individuals linked into families. Some individuals are linked into
      families and can be displayed on family groups and pedigree charts.
      The number of linked individuals is relatively small but is expected
      to grow significantly in the future. You can also download family
      group records and pedigree charts.

      Additional event information. All events that were in original user
      submissions are now displayed and can be used as search criteria.

      Improved searching. You can now search the index by given name,
      surname and state, and more types of events, even across regions. The
      processes used to find individuals in spite of spelling and other
      differences in the name have also been improved.

      Information to describe the source. When you display an individual’s
      records, you will see messages that describe the source of the
      information.
    • Patricia Trimble
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 28, 2002
        Hi ~ the update sounds great but how do you access the information? does it cost?

        NO IT'S FREE go to www.familysearch.org
        We've been having a trouble getting in-very popular site in past few days so kep trying
        JANET, LIST OWNER
      • Phyllis Caldwell
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 1, 2002
          Hi Group,

          Just FYI -

          If you check the Left column once into www.familysearch.org

          click on What is New - you will find that the IGI section is being
          updated.

          Earlier today the message was that the IGI was no available due to
          upgrading.

          Later I could access the same, despite the same message

          Cheers

          Phyllis

          On Sat, 28 Sep 2002 16:14:51 -0700 (PDT) Patricia Trimble
          <tricia0657@...> writes:
          > Hi ~ the update sounds great but how do you access the information?
          > does it cost?
          >
          > NO IT'S FREE go to www.familysearch.org
          > We've been having a trouble getting in-very popular site in past few
          > days so kep trying
          > JANET, LIST OWNER
        • Albert Abel
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 6, 2002
            Hi Janet,
            Thank you for this information; there may be hope for some success, yet.

            Would you mind giving the URL for the LDS site, please.
            Many thanks
            Albert Abel - Tamworth