Can you Help Please?

  • June Elaine Chan
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 18 9:31 PM
      My maternal grandfather is Thomas Smith, born 1885, father Charles Smith, coal miner.

      Charles Smith has the following known children:
      Harry, Jack, Joseph, Sarah, Susan, Pat, Thomas, Charles - the order is unknown and Harry could be Henry and Jack could be John.

      At the time of my mother's birth all the family(ies) are living in Yorkshire (my mother and her 8 siblings were all born around Thurnscoe, Stainforth, Doncaster, Rotherham), it is assumed that they were all born there.

      A search of the birth records shows many many Thomas Smith's with father Charles born in 1885 so without the name of the mother or place of birth it is impossible to know which is the correct one.

      I have received the 1891 census for Yorkshire and have been trawelling through the discs page by page and have come across the following entry.

      Greasbrough - Rotherham - Address - Birmingham Road(?)
      Charles Smith, head, 42, coal miner, born Yorkshire Little Hawswood (this is what the last word looks like)
      Susan Smith, wife, 40, born Shropshire
      Joseph, son, 19, coal miner, born Staffordshire
      Henry, 16, coal miner pony driver, born Yorkshire Denby(?)
      Sarah, 13, scholar, born Yorkshire ???gate
      Martha, 11, scholar, born Yorkshire Darfield
      Thomas, 6, born Yorkshire Darfield
      Susannah, 4, born Yorkshire Darfield
      Rose, 1, born Yorkshire Darfield

      I can't find a little Hawswood in Yorkshire although I have found a Little Harwood near Blackburn in Lancashire.

      All the information about this family leads me to believe that it is my family but how can I prove this? There are no members of the family alive to give me further information.

      Any and all suggestions no matter how small would be welcome.

      Thank you.

      June (Queensland Australia)