Re: [englishresearch] RE: HEWETT/HOUSAGOE

  • joan lane
    Message 1 of 5 , May 14, 2002
      Terry, Two other ideas maybe Milton could be the
      fathers surname or Elizabeths mothers maiden name -
      guess at this stage you have to check all maybes. Have
      you looked for Elizabeth or Caroline on the 1841
      census?
      Joan
      -- Terry60290@... wrote:
      > Adelaide, 10th May 2002
      >
      > Dear All,
      >
      > I have received my Gt.GPa's birth certificate, and
      > it has floored me rather.
      > He was born at Market Gates, 1843, to Elizabeth
      > HEWETT. No father was
      > recorded and a month later the birth was registered
      > by Caroline HOUSAGOE as
      > the Occupier, Market Gates. No other reason for
      > her registration of Henry
      > Alexander HEWETT was given.
      >
      > Before I saw the certificate I had his name recorded
      > on my GPa's wedding
      > certificate as Henry Alexander Milton HEWETT, and
      > had assumed that the Milton
      > was his Mother's maiden name. Jumping to
      > conclusions!!!
      >
      > Has anybody any ideas or suggestions, as there are a
      > great many HEWETTS and I
      > have no idea where Elizabeth came from. I had
      > hoped that Caroline HOUSAGOE
      > might prove to be a connection, but can find nothing
      > on her.
      >
      > Regards, Terry

      > removed]

      LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
      http://launch.yahoo.com
    • Terry60290@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , May 18, 2002
        Adelaide, 19th May 2002

        Dear Joan,

        Thanks for your ideas, I had thought of the father's name but not the
        mother's maiden name. I thought HOUSAGOE (or variations) seems quite rare
        and therefore easier to identify.

        I tried the 1841 and 1851 censuses for Norfolk, and from the 1881 census
        Henry Alexander HEWETT was in Bethnall Green, London, a bootmaker, c.1872,
        when his eldest daughter was born. Bootmaking was a trade boys were
        apprenticed to if they were "on the Parish", so there are lots of
        possibilities.

        Best wishes,
        Terry

      • Halfpint27223670@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , May 19, 2002
          hi l don,t know if this will be of any help to you. but l see that you are
          looking at HEWETT l have a copy of the 1891 census index series for bethnal
          green. this only gives names ages and reference no.

          HENRY aged 12 ref 140
          AMELIA aged 67 ref 141
          THOMAS JAS aged 58 ref 141
          these are all on PRO piece RG12/269.

          happy hunting julia

        • Terry60290@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , May 27, 2002
            Adelaide, South Australia
            27th May 2002

            Thanks Julia.

            On the 1881 census HENRY HEWETT was in Bethnall Green. Definitely the
            right person, he had four daughters, my Grandfather's older sisters. My
            Grandfather was born in 1889, presumably they had moved by 1891 if they
            cannot be found in Bethnall Green. Obviously there is a need to find
            Grandfather's birth certificate, but all I know so far is he was born 1st
            January 1889, and his name was WILLIAM HEWITT/HEWETT.

            Regards, Terry