RE: HEWETT/HOUSAGOE

  • Terry60290@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , May 9, 2002
      Adelaide, 10th May 2002

      Dear All,

      I have received my Gt.GPa's birth certificate, and it has floored me rather.
      He was born at Market Gates, 1843, to Elizabeth HEWETT. No father was
      recorded and a month later the birth was registered by Caroline HOUSAGOE as
      the Occupier, Market Gates. No other reason for her registration of Henry
      Alexander HEWETT was given.

      Before I saw the certificate I had his name recorded on my GPa's wedding
      certificate as Henry Alexander Milton HEWETT, and had assumed that the Milton
      was his Mother's maiden name. Jumping to conclusions!!!

      Has anybody any ideas or suggestions, as there are a great many HEWETTS and I
      have no idea where Elizabeth came from. I had hoped that Caroline HOUSAGOE
      might prove to be a connection, but can find nothing on her.

      Regards, Terry

    • joan lane
      Message 2 of 5 , May 14, 2002
        Terry, Two other ideas maybe Milton could be the
        fathers surname or Elizabeths mothers maiden name -
        guess at this stage you have to check all maybes. Have
        you looked for Elizabeth or Caroline on the 1841
        census?
        Joan
        -- Terry60290@... wrote:
        > Adelaide, 10th May 2002
        >
        > Dear All,
        >
        > I have received my Gt.GPa's birth certificate, and
        > it has floored me rather.
        > He was born at Market Gates, 1843, to Elizabeth
        > HEWETT. No father was
        > recorded and a month later the birth was registered
        > by Caroline HOUSAGOE as
        > the Occupier, Market Gates. No other reason for
        > her registration of Henry
        > Alexander HEWETT was given.
        >
        > Before I saw the certificate I had his name recorded
        > on my GPa's wedding
        > certificate as Henry Alexander Milton HEWETT, and
        > had assumed that the Milton
        > was his Mother's maiden name. Jumping to
        > conclusions!!!
        >
        > Has anybody any ideas or suggestions, as there are a
        > great many HEWETTS and I
        > have no idea where Elizabeth came from. I had
        > hoped that Caroline HOUSAGOE
        > might prove to be a connection, but can find nothing
        > on her.
        >
        > Regards, Terry

        > removed]

        LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
        http://launch.yahoo.com
      • Terry60290@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , May 18, 2002
          Adelaide, 19th May 2002

          Dear Joan,

          Thanks for your ideas, I had thought of the father's name but not the
          mother's maiden name. I thought HOUSAGOE (or variations) seems quite rare
          and therefore easier to identify.

          I tried the 1841 and 1851 censuses for Norfolk, and from the 1881 census
          Henry Alexander HEWETT was in Bethnall Green, London, a bootmaker, c.1872,
          when his eldest daughter was born. Bootmaking was a trade boys were
          apprenticed to if they were "on the Parish", so there are lots of
          possibilities.

          Best wishes,
          Terry

        • Halfpint27223670@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , May 19, 2002
            hi l don,t know if this will be of any help to you. but l see that you are
            looking at HEWETT l have a copy of the 1891 census index series for bethnal
            green. this only gives names ages and reference no.

            HENRY aged 12 ref 140
            AMELIA aged 67 ref 141
            THOMAS JAS aged 58 ref 141
            these are all on PRO piece RG12/269.

            happy hunting julia

          • Terry60290@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , May 27, 2002
              Adelaide, South Australia
              27th May 2002

              Thanks Julia.

              On the 1881 census HENRY HEWETT was in Bethnall Green. Definitely the
              right person, he had four daughters, my Grandfather's older sisters. My
              Grandfather was born in 1889, presumably they had moved by 1891 if they
              cannot be found in Bethnall Green. Obviously there is a need to find
              Grandfather's birth certificate, but all I know so far is he was born 1st
              January 1889, and his name was WILLIAM HEWITT/HEWETT.

              Regards, Terry