re 1901 census

  • wendy boland
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 3, 2002
      Hi All
      RE the 1901 Census

      Can I just give some input here- I believe that the Family History Society
      Members are pretty well stretched for time transcribing various records as
      it is without the enormous task of tackling the 1901 census. The 1881 took
      10 years to complete and the 1901 census is much larger.
      I am indexing a piece number for the 1891 for London and still trying to
      find time to live in the present.

      I have read messages on this subject on various mailing lists and some-one
      pointed out that English is the second language in the country that did the
      transcribing and that the levels of literacy there are possibly greater than
      in one of the original options- Her Magesty's Prisons.

      I have transcribed over 8000 records from the 1841 census and find that
      while a certain amount of local knowledge helps- that sometimes it is
      difficult not to be subjective too.

      I really think that given time it will all sort itself out. Even with the
      1881 census CDs we still don't find our ancestors and when we do we can't
      make head nor tail of the information due to lousy handwriting, spelling
      errors and poor memory.
      Please let's all just shake our heads and wait patiently - we can all say
      "Told you so" after the event.
      After all life is too short to be tearing one's hair out over things that
      really make no difference to the state of the world today.

      On a lighter note Janet, I have just come across soem REAKES/RAIKES in
      Newbold on Avon PRs Warwickshire- baptisms and already on the IGI-
      interested in the full record?

      Best wishes
      Wendy in Oz