New Member

  • janet@bettger.demon.co.uk
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 16, 2001
      Hello,

      I am new to this group and wonder if anyone else has information on
      the following names I am researching?

      BETTGER - any date any place
      HONNOR - Middlesex, London
      WINCH - Middlesex and greater London
      KENWARD - Sussex
      VICK - Christchurch, Hampshire
      BODMAN - Buckingham
      CHALKER - Bungay, Suffolk and Peterborough, and Greater London
      HAWES - Swaffham, Norfolk
      WILLIAMS - Saham, Norfolk
      COLLIER - Cavenham, Mildenhall, and Greater London

      And last but not least the most important JOSEPH SLACK from Middlesex
      or London. I have found him on the 1851 census in Little North
      Street with Elizabeth Bettger but no where else. There is a Joseph
      Slack & Sons in Great Audley St. London. Hatters and Hosiers, which I
      am sure are related. Any information would be more than grateful.

      Thanking you in anticipation!!?? Janet
    • Pauline Davy
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 17, 2001
        Hi Janet,
        I am looking for COLYER's in London, and believe that the name did
        sometimes change its spelling. My COLYER is Charles Frederick, born
        Deptford, 1890's married Martha Ann PORTER in London 1915. They both worked,
        and met at the Seamens Hospital Greenwich.
        Hoping to hear from you,
        Pauline (Melbourne Australia)
        > I am new to this group and wonder if anyone else has information on
        > the following names I am researching?
        >
        > BETTGER - any date any place
        > HONNOR - Middlesex, London
        > WINCH - Middlesex and greater London
        > KENWARD - Sussex
        > VICK - Christchurch, Hampshire
        > BODMAN - Buckingham
        > CHALKER - Bungay, Suffolk and Peterborough, and Greater London
        > HAWES - Swaffham, Norfolk
        > WILLIAMS - Saham, Norfolk
        > COLLIER - Cavenham, Mildenhall, and Greater London
        >
        > And last but not least the most important JOSEPH SLACK from Middlesex
        > or London. I have found him on the 1851 census in Little North
        > Street with Elizabeth Bettger but no where else. There is a Joseph
        > Slack & Sons in Great Audley St. London. Hatters and Hosiers, which I
        > am sure are related. Any information would be more than grateful.
        >
        > Thanking you in anticipation!!?? Janet

      • Janet Bettger
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 24, 2001
          Hello to Pauline of Melbourne Australia,

          Thank you for your note on Charles Frederick COLYER - this is a branch of my
          family history that I have so far done very little investigating. All I
          have is the following:

          He is my grandfather named Charles COLLIER b. 1876/1875. I have his
          marriage and death certificate but not birth. He married Florence Sophia
          HAWES 22.05.1899 in Cavenham, Mildenhall. He was a Joiner and his father
          George Collier was a Toolmaker. An Annie Collier was witness at the
          marriage, she could be a sister or his mother. They lived at Croydon,
          Surrey, most of their married life but Charles died in London while at work
          at the age of 52 in 1928. My grandmother Florence Sophia Collier (nee
          Hawes) died aged 89 in 1966. I have managed to get back to 1867 on her side
          of the family but on looking for Charles Collier's birth certificates find
          there are rather a lot??!! I am hoping to pick up some information on the
          1901 census next year.

          If any of this seems to connect with your COLYER's please get in touch and
          share any info.

          Janet (Hampshire England)

          > I am new to this group and wonder if anyone else has information on
          > the following names I am researching?
          >
          > BETTGER - any date any place
          > HONNOR - Middlesex, London
          > WINCH - Middlesex and greater London
          > KENWARD - Sussex
          > VICK - Christchurch, Hampshire
          > BODMAN - Buckingham
          > CHALKER - Bungay, Suffolk and Peterborough, and Greater London
          > HAWES - Swaffham, Norfolk
          > WILLIAMS - Saham, Norfolk
          > COLLIER - Cavenham, Mildenhall, and Greater London
          >
          > And last but not least the most important JOSEPH SLACK from Middlesex
          > or London. I have found him on the 1851 census in Little North
          > Street with Elizabeth Bettger but no where else. There is a Joseph
          > Slack & Sons in Great Audley St. London. Hatters and Hosiers, which I
          > am sure are related. Any information would be more than grateful.
          >
          > Thanking you in anticipation!!?? Janet

          Community email addresses:
          Post message: englishresearch@onelist.com
          Subscribe: englishresearch-subscribe@onelist.com