Help-Saltmarsh or Fridd

  • K. & R. Saltmarsh
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 14, 2001
      Dear List,

      I am hoping that someone in England might be able to help me. I have written to various groups in Yorkshire trying to locate anyone researching the name Saltmarsh without success. I was wondering if anyone on the list would know where I should look for this information. We have been told through various sources of the family that my husbands' gggrandfather Henry Saltmarsh came from Yorkshire. It's also on his death certificate. They have failed to mention which Parish. Now on going through the passenger list we found him registered as Jno Saltmarsh, does this mean John and not Henry and is this why we might be having trouble locating him and his birth certificate.

      Second name Fridd. My ggrandfather Richard FRIDD came to Australia in 1874, he had married Catherine Roots in England and they had 2 children (one died in England) before they came to Australia. I have seen by Richards' death certificate that he came from Leed, East Kent. I've located Leed and it seems to be near Maidstone in Kent. I have not been able to locate his birth certificate even with his birthdate. I have been told by some of his descendants in Australia that some of his relatives are still in the area of Maidstone on a cherry farm. I believe the farm is called "Bungaloo Farm" not sure if that's the correct spelling. The people that were living there may have been called Neave. That may not be spelt right either. I am hoping that someone can give me some information on the farm and the people now living there. This is a long shot but I've tried everything to locate the information myself.
      (I hope I'm not going against the rules of this list in asking for this sort of information. If so please cancel it.)

      Rosemary Saltmarsh
      Telowie, S.A.

    • Maureen Reid
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 17, 2001
        Dear Rosemary, Reading your appeal for help, I have
        two suggestions. One contact the Family History
        Societys in the English areas concerned. Lists of the
        Societys can be sourced at the Genfair site. Also
        there are several sites in UK where one can advertise
        for help - suggest you try Yorkshire & Kent via a
        serach engine. Hope this helps Regards Maureen Reid

        http://personals.yahoo.com