Surnames: Vivian/Tucker/Kemp

  • vbenning@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 23, 2001
      I've been a window gazer for several month now. Thought it was time
      to post a query. I'm relatively new to Genealogy and now I am
      stuck. I have gotten my line back to their first immigrants to US
      and now don't know how to get them back over to England. Looking for
      information on various people who immigrated to US in late 1800s.

      John Vivian (born Jan 1850) in England (unknown location) and
      immigrated to Philadelphia or New York in 1867. Can't seem to find
      anything more out about him. Have looked at online birth registry,
      immigration records and nothing. He was a Coal Miner and according
      to my grandfather came from around Cornwall area. Settled for 3
      generations in Wilkes-Barre Pennsylvania area.

      Elizabeth Jordan (born July 1852) in Wales (unknown location) and
      immigrated to Philadelphia or New York in 1869. Parents were John
      and Margaret. He was a blacksmith. They were 59 and 57 in the 1880
      census. They may have immigrated as a family since all are in the
      1880 census together. Elizabeth married John Vivian around 1875.
      Other Jordans are found living next to Elizabeth and John Vivian in
      the 1910 Census. These are David (age 62) and family and Arthur (age
      34) and family. Suspect that they are related to Elizabeth.

      Joseph Tucker (born 25 Nov 1851) in England (unknown location) and
      immigrated to Philedelphia or New York in 1880. He was a Day Laborer
      in the 1900 census. He died in Pittston, PA on 3 March 1905.

      Jane Kemp (Joseph Tucker's wife) (Born 6 February 1855) in England
      (unknown location) and immigrated in 1882. Alternate spelling of name
      was "Janne".

      HELP!!! I just don't know where to go from here. The CD collections
      are very expensive and I can't find a local source. I'll ask you,
      the experts what you suggest I look in.

      Thank you very much in advance,
      Valerie
    • Alece Egan
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 24, 2001
        I'm sure you have lots of replies by now, but here are a few basic
        suggestions.

        If you can get the death certificate for each immigrant, you will have
        parents' names and place of birth. That will make the search easier. Write
        the counties where they died and ask cost of a search and copy of the death
        certificate.

        Go to a Family History Center at the nearest LDS (Latter Day Saints -
        Mormons) and ask about the English census records for Cornwall in 1851
        (theirs are in years ending in "1"). You may need the father's name to
        search the index but maybe surname will get you there.

        Then check US Census records for the areas where he might have been at each
        census.

        Do the same for Jordan, looking at the 1861 Wales census.

        The LDS centers have catalogs of materials available on site or on order
        from Provo, Utah. There is a small charge for getting the material, on fiche
        or whatever, and viewing it at their local center.

        Ask your local library where the nearest genealogy library is. Then find
        out what genealogy groups meet there, try to get to a meeting, find others
        searching your areas and years and they will help you.

        There is much more, which I am not proficient at yet. But thismight get you
        started.

        Alece

        Check ship lists under father's name.