975Researching LETHABY

  • tis_skyler@yahoo.com
    Oct 8, 2001
      Hi Terrance,

      My family name of Lethaby comes from Somerset/Devon. I can't be
      anymore specific than this because at this stage I smply don't know.
      My Grandfather John George LETHABY was born about 1848, possibly in
      South Molton but I can't be sure. He married Elizabeth HART in 1868
      and emmigrated to New Zealand in 1869. They had two children Albert
      and Anna. I don't know what happen to Anna but I knew Albert. When
      Elizabeth died, John George went back to England and remarried.
      This marriage to Alice Hart ROSSITER (my grandmother) took place at
      Churchhill, Wellington, Somerset sometime prior to 1898 and they
      returned to New Zealand. They had five children. I have been
      watching lists for ages to see if anyone else enquired about this
      name. But so far no one has. I know there is several variations to
      the spelling of Lethaby and that there was a family of Lethaby that
      emmigrated to Australia and once there changed the spelling to
      Letheby. If anyone does have this name in their background I would
      be grateful for contact with them.

      Chris Lethaby

      --- In englishresearch@y..., "TERRANCE PARFITT"
      <terry.parfitt@s...> wrote:
      > To Chris Lethaby
      > An unusual name! Calling from Sweden and great memories of vising
      Wellington and Aukland. Saw your message to Janet, tried to get a
      copy of 'Weakest Link' but not possible here in Sweden. I was born in
      Evercreech 1940 and left '65 for Sweden. Janet has achieved a
      tremendous amount of research about Evercreech in Somt. U.K. and been
      very helpful to me.
      > Where did your 'Lathaby' family come from?
      > We are now into Autumn, a long Winter round the corner.
      > Kind regards
      > ┬ĘTerry Parfitt
      > XEvercreech/Bristol & Sweden
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic