Re: [engineeringcivil]

  • Pravat Kumar Mallick
    Message 1 of 30 , Jun 29 10:06 PM
      On Sat, Jun 30, 2012 at 10:19 AM, Tarikere Ramesh <tsramesha@...> wrote:

      Dear Sir,

      Please let me know what action should be taken if 28 days
      cube test fails after casting the roof concrete.

      regards,

      Ramesh.

      Go for core test.
      --
      P.K.Mallick
      Dy.Chief Engineer

    • victoradebanjo28@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 30 , Jun 29 10:33 PM
        It would have been better if the strenghs were mentioned. With the info available,these are my advice :
        Redesign the roof with the actual strengh of concrete to check if is satisfactory. If the difference between concrete strength used for design and actual strength is not much. You need to leave the formwork for concrete to attain the design strengh.

        From: Tarikere Ramesh <tsramesha@...>
        Sender: engineeringcivil@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2012 10:19:23 +0530
        To: <engineeringcivil@yahoogroups.com>
        ReplyTo: engineeringcivil@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: [engineeringcivil]

        Dear Sir,

        Please let me know what action should be taken if 28 days
        cube test fails after casting the roof concrete.

        regards,

        Ramesh.

      • vtapmc
        Message 3 of 30 , Jun 29 11:11 PM
          Core cut the slab and do comp test or concrete rebound test

          From: Tarikere Ramesh <tsramesha@...>
          Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2012 10:19:23 +0530

          Dear Sir,

          Please let me know what action should be taken if 28 days
          cube test fails after casting the roof concrete.

          regards,

          Ramesh.

          --
          VISWA THIAGARAJAN & ASSOCIATES,
          45,5th TRUST CROSS STREET,

        • anis abbasi
          Message 4 of 30 , Jun 29 11:25 PM
            increase the cement content in the concrete and w/c remains same, do
            ndt(pandit test,rebound test) test on roof profile slab

            On 6/30/12, victoradebanjo28@... <victoradebanjo28@...> wrote:
            > It would have been better if the strenghs were mentioned. With the info
            > available,these are my advice :
            > Redesign the roof with the actual strengh of concrete to check if is
            > satisfactory. If the difference between concrete
            > strength used for design and actual strength is not much. You need to leave
            > the formwork for concrete to attain the design strengh.
            >
            > Sent from my BlackBerry wireless device from MTN

          • IBRAHIM BABU
            Message 5 of 30 , Jun 30 12:00 AM
              Dear Mr.  Ramesh,

              The part of the structure for which the 28-day cube strength show lower values should be subjected to non-destructive tests as per codes. If these tests too fails, then the structure or part of it as the case may be, has to be dismantled.

              Regards,

              On Sat, Jun 30, 2012 at 10:19 AM, Tarikere Ramesh <tsramesha@...> wrote:

              Dear Sir,

              Please let me know what action should be taken if 28 days
              cube test fails after casting the roof concrete.

              regards,

              Ramesh.

              --
              K.A. IBRAHIM BABU
              SENIOR PROJECT CONSULTANT

            • ramanicivil88@yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 30 , Jun 30 12:29 AM
                Sir , pl/.. Sent me PE sample question paper ,,,, or any ida ya call me. Thank you. Er BaluRamni. +91 98432 65083.
                Sent on my BlackBerry® from Vodafone

                From: IBRAHIM BABU <ibrahimbabu19@...>
                Sender: engineeringcivil@yahoogroups.com
                Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2012 12:30:09 +0530
                To: <engineeringcivil@yahoogroups.com>
                ReplyTo: engineeringcivil@yahoogroups.com
                Subject: Re: [engineeringcivil]

                Message 7 of 30 , Jun 30 1:36 AM
                  Sir , pl/.. Sent me PE exam sample question paper ,,,, or any ida ya call me. Thank you. Er BaluRamni. +91 98432 65083.
                  Sent on my BlackBerry® from Vodafone

                  From: IBRAHIM BABU <ibrahimbabu19@...>
                  Sender: engineeringcivil@yahoogroups.com
                  Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2012 12:30:09 +0530
                  To: <engineeringcivil@yahoogroups.com>
                  ReplyTo: engineeringcivil@yahoogroups.com

                  Dear Mr.  Ramesh,

                  The part of the structure for which the 28-day cube strength show lower values should be subjected to non-destructive tests as per codes. If these tests too fails, then the structure or part of it as the case may be, has to be dismantled.

                  Regards,

                  On Sat, Jun 30, 2012 at 10:19 AM, Tarikere Ramesh <tsramesha@...> wrote:

                  Dear Sir,

                  Please let me know what action should be taken if 28 days
                  cube test fails after casting the roof concrete.

                  regards,

                  Ramesh.

                  --
                  K.A. IBRAHIM BABU
                  SENIOR PROJECT CONSULTANT
                  PITHAVADIAN & PARTNERS
                  MEGA HOSTEL PROJECT, NIT-CALICUT
                  PH: 09142153303

                • sridhara munimakula
                  Message 8 of 30 , Jun 30 1:57 AM
                    Dear Engineers,

                    At our project site, We have noticed that the staircase flights have developed cracks across the width of the flight. We have checked with our structural consultant, the structural design is correct. We have ensured that the formwork and reinforcement is correct. We conducted rebound test and the results show good results (concrete strength was more than the design strength). We cannot dismantle the staircases.

                    Can anyone suggest a good remedy to this case to avoid any future collapse.

                    Thanking you in advance.

                    Sridhara.

                    From: Tarikere Ramesh <tsramesha@...>
                    Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2012 10:19:23 +0530

                    Dear Sir,

                    Please let me know what action should be taken if 28 days
                    cube test fails after casting the roof concrete.

                    regards,

                    Ramesh.

                    --
                    VISWA THIAGARAJAN & ASSOCIATES,
                    45,5th TRUST CROSS STREET,
                    MANDAVELLI, CHENNAI - 600 028.
                    PH 044 42100696.

                  • Chandresh Bhanushali
                    Message 9 of 30 , Jun 30 3:24 AM
                      Cube may even fail, if curing may be not proper or casting of cube may be improper.. In that condition u may take a core sample of actual slab and test it. If that result fails than go for breaking..

                      Chandresh

                      Sent from my iPhone

                        From: Tarikere Ramesh <tsramesha@...>
                        Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2012 10:19:23 +0530

                        Dear Sir,

                        Please let me know what action should be taken if 28 days
                        cube test fails after casting the roof concrete.

                        regards,

                        Ramesh.

                        --
                        VISWA THIAGARAJAN & ASSOCIATES,
                        45,5th TRUST CROSS STREET,
                        MANDAVELLI, CHENNAI - 600 028.
                        PH 044 42100696.

                      • RUKMANGATHAN RUKMANGATHAN
                        Message 11 of 30 , Jun 30 6:35 AM
                          Dear Sridhara

                               It may be non structural crack developed in plastering. Check profile if it is straight one, it is structural crack and it can retrofitted by stitching or providing supplimentry beam just below the crack by resting it one adjacent wall. unless it is due to materials used for plastering. Redo it.

                          Thanks & Regards

                          V.Rukmangathan

                          Message 12 of 30 , Jun 30 7:14 AM
                            Dear Mr.Chandresh,

                            The staircase was casted on site, its not RMC. There are no conduits in the staircase flights.

                            Regards,
                            Sridhara

                            Message 13 of 30 , Jun 30 7:16 AM
                              Dear Mr.Rukmangathan,

                              The staircase flights are not yet plastered. The flights are resting only at first and last steps, they do not have side walls or beams along the flight. The staircase is doglegged.

                              Regards,
                              Sridhara Munimakula

                              From: Tarikere Ramesh <tsramesha@...>
                              Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2012 10:19:23 +0530

                            • mydeen86@gmail.com
                              Message 14 of 30 , Jun 30 7:57 AM
                                Hi,
                                you can do it with v grove method.use the v grove grinder to make the crack as v shaped,then fill it epoxy grout or cement grout which is available in the market as a remedy for the cracks.

                                Thank you.

                                Sent from my Nokia phone

                                ________________________________

                                Message 15 of 30 , Jun 30 9:45 AM
                                  Cracks appeared in top or bottom of slab.

                                  V.Rukmangathan

                                  ------------------------------

                                • Tarikere Ramesh

                                    Message 17 of 30 , Jul 1, 2012
                                      Dear Mr.Rukmangathan,

                                      The cracks are underneath the staircase flight.

                                      Regards,
                                      Sridhara

                                      Cracks appeared in top or bottom of slab.

                                      V.Rukmangathan

                                      ------------------------------
                                      On Sat 30 Jun, 2012 7:46 PM IST sridhara munimakula wrote:

                                      >Dear Mr.Rukmangathan,
                                      >
                                      >The staircase flights are not yet plastered. The flights are resting only at first and last steps, they do not have side walls or beams along the flight. The staircase is doglegged.
                                      >
                                      >Regards,
                                      >Sridhara Munimakula
                                      >

                                      >________________________________

                                    • sridhara munimakula

                                        Cracks appeared in top or bottom of slab.

                                        V.Rukmangathan

                                        ------------------------------
                                        On Sat 30 Jun, 2012 7:46 PM IST sridhara munimakula wrote:

                                        >Dear Mr.Rukmangathan,
                                        >
                                        >The staircase flights are not yet plastered. The flights are resting only at first and last steps, they do not have side walls or beams along the flight. The staircase is doglegged.
                                        >
                                        >Regards,
                                        >Sridhara Munimakula
                                        >

                                        >________________________________

                                      • sridhara munimakula

                                          Cracks appeared in top or bottom of slab.

                                          V.Rukmangathan

                                          ------------------------------
                                          On Sat 30 Jun, 2012 7:46 PM IST sridhara munimakula wrote:

                                          >Dear Mr.Rukmangathan,
                                          >
                                          >The staircase flights are not yet plastered. The flights are resting only at first and last steps, they do not have side walls or beams along the flight. The staircase is doglegged.
                                          >
                                          >Regards,
                                          >Sridhara Munimakula
                                          >

                                          >________________________________

                                        • tumne

                                            Cracks appeared in top or bottom of slab.

                                            V.Rukmangathan

                                            ------------------------------
                                            On Sat 30 Jun, 2012 7:46 PM IST sridhara munimakula wrote:

                                            >Dear Mr.Rukmangathan,
                                            >
                                            >The staircase flights are not yet plastered. The flights are resting only at first and last steps, they do not have side walls or beams along the flight. The staircase is doglegged.
                                            >
                                            >Regards,
                                            >Sridhara Munimakula
                                            >

                                            >________________________________

                                            =
                                          • RUKMANGATHAN RUKMANGATHAN
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Jul 1, 2012
                                              Sir
                                              Can u send some images

                                              V.Rukmangatham

                                              ------------------------------
                                              On Sun 1 Jul, 2012 1:47 PM IST sridhara munimakula wrote:

                                              >Dear Mr.Rukmangathan,
                                              >
                                              >The cracks are underneath the staircase flight.
                                              >
                                              >Regards,
                                              >Sridhara
                                              >

                                              >________________________________

                                            • hs sekhon
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Jul 3, 2012
                                                Dear friends,
                                                after respecting your professional experience and good guideline for my problem, that I have casted RCC roof slab of two houses on 2-7-2012 of M20 mix RMC. Day temp. was 32to 43 degree Celsius with humidity 45% to 75% due to paddy plantation season in Punjab. Concreting was done from 4 PM to 8 PM. Next day due to power failure water supply systems were not working. we could arrange water tanker from market at about 11 AM needed for flood curing. In the mean time roof slab got carcked from topside and a mesh of crackes appeared very fastly whichdisturbed me a lot as we took two hours to pump whole tanker of water on roof top. unfortunatly whole water seeped through hair cracks ranging from 0.1 MM to 1.0 MM in width. which we have repaired with neat cement slurry so that we may be able to prevent leakage and store water for curing. In my 25 years professional life  it was a very sad day.
                                                now my question is:
                                                was there any chemical admixture in RMC which caused high heat generation in concrete setting and caused shrinkage of concerete at very fast speed.
                                                or it was due to high atmospheric temperature. or any other reason that we have not taken care for.
                                                please share yours ideas  so that we may alert ourself.
                                                thanx.
                                                hssekhon, 09814039069

                                                On Sun 1 Jul, 2012 1:47 PM IST sridhara munimakula wrote:

                                                >Dear Mr.Rukmangathan,
                                                >
                                                >The cracks are underneath the staircase flight.
                                                >
                                                >Regards,
                                                >Sridhara
                                                >

                                                >________________________________

                                              • satish tumne
                                                Message 23 of 30 , Jul 3, 2012
                                                • 1 Attachment
                                                • 6.8 MB
                                                Dear hs sekhon ,
                                                one can understand your feelings about your work,
                                                please find attched book and refer to sect 2 about cracks in fresh concrete,
                                                hope that you have recovered and find way to correct.
                                                thanks
                                                Satish Tumne

                                                On Sun 1 Jul, 2012 1:47 PM IST sridhara munimakula wrote:

                                                >Dear Mr.Rukmangathan,
                                                >
                                                >The cracks are underneath the staircase flight.
                                                >
                                                >Regards,
                                                >Sridhara
                                                >

                                                >________________________________

                                              • harshad mane
                                                Message 24 of 30 , Jul 4, 2012
                                                  dear friend,

                                                  as per your description i think there would some problem as is as follows:-
                                                  1) poor workmanship
                                                  2) concrete bleeding
                                                  3) for slab you use M 20 but practically you have to use M 25
                                                  4) As you mention the temperature you have to broom the surface of concrete when concrete sets immediately & u have to sprinkle water on the surface
                                                  5) concrete slump

                                                  On Sun 1 Jul, 2012 1:47 PM IST sridhara munimakula wrote:

                                                  >Dear Mr.Rukmangathan,
                                                  >
                                                  >The cracks are underneath the staircase flight.
                                                  >
                                                  >Regards,
                                                  >Sridhara
                                                  >

                                                  >________________________________

                                                • adekunle edu
                                                  Message 25 of 30 , Jul 4, 2012
                                                    Good Day,
                                                    Do you apply admixture? The result of 7 day crushing cube test will justify the expected crushing strength result in 28 day cube test by factor it. Let prove further on material & temperature. Thanks

                                                    Edu

                                                    On Sun 1 Jul, 2012 1:47 PM IST sridhara munimakula wrote:

                                                    >Dear Mr.Rukmangathan,
                                                    >
                                                    >The cracks are underneath the staircase flight.
                                                    >
                                                    >Regards,
                                                    >Sridhara
                                                    >

                                                    >________________________________

                                                  • Abhilash
                                                    Message 26 of 30 , Jul 4, 2012
                                                      Good Day,

                                                      Go for chemical grouting ,will be expensive but will save your sleep

                                                      With Regards,
                                                      Abhilash Sathyan
                                                      Mob Nr:-00971504820347

                                                    • sajaad ali soomro
                                                      Message 27 of 30 , Jul 4, 2012
                                                        core cutting and concrete rebound test can be suggested it it fails then demolishing the final action. i had faced same problem in shaft of the flyover.

                                                        Engr Sajaad Ali Soomro
                                                        Civil Engineer (Water Resources) Hyderabad
                                                        Louis Berger International
                                                        Phone (Work): 92 222 730392
                                                        Mobile: 92 333 2770889

                                                        Message 28 of 30 , Jul 4, 2012
                                                          its nothing but heat of hydration...chemical admixtures used by RMC players do not constribute to heat of concrete
                                                          yes , SP25 is an excellent handbook to study for cracks....As an civil engineer we should be well aware of the reasons of cracks in concrete. Normally we tend to blame cement manufacturer or RMC players for this...but this is not so in majority of cases.

                                                          Also you can search of google for " cracks in concrete " there is load of info. on it

                                                          regards

                                                          SANDEEP MATHUR
                                                          HEAD-CONCRETE DIVISION
                                                          CONPLUS - RMC-AHMEDABAD

                                                          On Sun 1 Jul, 2012 1:47 PM IST sridhara munimakula wrote:

                                                          >Dear Mr.Rukmangathan,
                                                          >
                                                          >The cracks are underneath the staircase flight.
                                                          >
                                                          >Regards,
                                                          >Sridhara

                                                        • Ar.S.Ibrahim
                                                          Message 29 of 30 , Jul 9, 2012
                                                            It could be Segregation of concrete. better make sure with lab..

                                                            Er.S. Ibrahim

                                                            =