  • Tarikere Ramesh
    Message 1 of 30 , Jun 29, 2012
      Dear Sir,

      Please let me know what action should be taken if 28 days
      cube test fails after casting the roof concrete.

      regards,

      Ramesh.
    • Pravat Kumar Mallick
      Message 2 of 30 , Jun 29, 2012
        On Sat, Jun 30, 2012 at 10:19 AM, Tarikere Ramesh <tsramesha@...> wrote:

        Dear Sir,

        Please let me know what action should be taken if 28 days
        cube test fails after casting the roof concrete.

        regards,

        Ramesh.

        Go for core test.
        --
        P.K.Mallick
        Dy.Chief Engineer

      • victoradebanjo28@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 30 , Jun 29, 2012
          It would have been better if the strenghs were mentioned. With the info available,these are my advice :
          Redesign the roof with the actual strengh of concrete to check if is satisfactory. If the difference between concrete strength used for design and actual strength is not much. You need to leave the formwork for concrete to attain the design strengh.

          From: Tarikere Ramesh <tsramesha@...>
          Sender: engineeringcivil@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2012 10:19:23 +0530
          To: <engineeringcivil@yahoogroups.com>
          ReplyTo: engineeringcivil@yahoogroups.com
          Subject: [engineeringcivil]

          Dear Sir,

          Please let me know what action should be taken if 28 days
          cube test fails after casting the roof concrete.

          regards,

          Ramesh.

        • vtapmc
          Message 4 of 30 , Jun 29, 2012
            Core cut the slab and do comp test or concrete rebound test

            From: Tarikere Ramesh <tsramesha@...>
            Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2012 10:19:23 +0530

            Dear Sir,

            Please let me know what action should be taken if 28 days
            cube test fails after casting the roof concrete.

            regards,

            Ramesh.

            --
            VISWA THIAGARAJAN & ASSOCIATES,
            45,5th TRUST CROSS STREET,

          • anis abbasi
            Message 5 of 30 , Jun 29, 2012
              increase the cement content in the concrete and w/c remains same, do
              ndt(pandit test,rebound test) test on roof profile slab

              On 6/30/12, victoradebanjo28@... <victoradebanjo28@...> wrote:
              > It would have been better if the strenghs were mentioned. With the info
              > available,these are my advice :
              > Redesign the roof with the actual strengh of concrete to check if is
              > satisfactory. If the difference between concrete
              > strength used for design and actual strength is not much. You need to leave
              > the formwork for concrete to attain the design strengh.
              >
              > Sent from my BlackBerry wireless device from MTN

            • IBRAHIM BABU
              Message 6 of 30 , Jun 30, 2012
                Dear Mr.  Ramesh,

                The part of the structure for which the 28-day cube strength show lower values should be subjected to non-destructive tests as per codes. If these tests too fails, then the structure or part of it as the case may be, has to be dismantled.

                Regards,

                On Sat, Jun 30, 2012 at 10:19 AM, Tarikere Ramesh <tsramesha@...> wrote:

                Dear Sir,

                Please let me know what action should be taken if 28 days
                cube test fails after casting the roof concrete.

                regards,

                Ramesh.

                --
                K.A. IBRAHIM BABU
                SENIOR PROJECT CONSULTANT

              • ramanicivil88@yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 30 , Jun 30, 2012
                  Sir , pl/.. Sent me PE sample question paper ,,,, or any ida ya call me. Thank you. Er BaluRamni. +91 98432 65083.
                  Sent on my BlackBerry® from Vodafone

                  From: IBRAHIM BABU <ibrahimbabu19@...>
                  Sender: engineeringcivil@yahoogroups.com
                  Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2012 12:30:09 +0530
                  To: <engineeringcivil@yahoogroups.com>
                  ReplyTo: engineeringcivil@yahoogroups.com
                  Subject: Re: [engineeringcivil]

                  Message 8 of 30 , Jun 30, 2012
                    Sir , pl/.. Sent me PE exam sample question paper ,,,, or any ida ya call me. Thank you. Er BaluRamni. +91 98432 65083.
                    Sent on my BlackBerry® from Vodafone

                    From: IBRAHIM BABU <ibrahimbabu19@...>
                    Sender: engineeringcivil@yahoogroups.com
                    Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2012 12:30:09 +0530
                    To: <engineeringcivil@yahoogroups.com>
                    ReplyTo: engineeringcivil@yahoogroups.com

                    Dear Mr.  Ramesh,

                    The part of the structure for which the 28-day cube strength show lower values should be subjected to non-destructive tests as per codes. If these tests too fails, then the structure or part of it as the case may be, has to be dismantled.

                    Regards,

                    On Sat, Jun 30, 2012 at 10:19 AM, Tarikere Ramesh <tsramesha@...> wrote:

                    Dear Sir,

                    Please let me know what action should be taken if 28 days
                    cube test fails after casting the roof concrete.

                    regards,

                    Ramesh.

                    --
                    K.A. IBRAHIM BABU
                    SENIOR PROJECT CONSULTANT
                    PITHAVADIAN & PARTNERS
                    MEGA HOSTEL PROJECT, NIT-CALICUT
                    PH: 09142153303

                  • sridhara munimakula
                    Message 9 of 30 , Jun 30, 2012
                      Dear Engineers,

                      At our project site, We have noticed that the staircase flights have developed cracks across the width of the flight. We have checked with our structural consultant, the structural design is correct. We have ensured that the formwork and reinforcement is correct. We conducted rebound test and the results show good results (concrete strength was more than the design strength). We cannot dismantle the staircases.

                      Can anyone suggest a good remedy to this case to avoid any future collapse.

                      Thanking you in advance.

                      Sridhara.

                      From: Tarikere Ramesh <tsramesha@...>
                      Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2012 10:19:23 +0530

                      Dear Sir,

                      Please let me know what action should be taken if 28 days
                      cube test fails after casting the roof concrete.

                      regards,

                      Ramesh.

                      --
                      VISWA THIAGARAJAN & ASSOCIATES,
                      45,5th TRUST CROSS STREET,
                      MANDAVELLI, CHENNAI - 600 028.
                      PH 044 42100696.

                    • Chandresh Bhanushali
                      Message 10 of 30 , Jun 30, 2012
                        Cube may even fail, if curing may be not proper or casting of cube may be improper.. In that condition u may take a core sample of actual slab and test it. If that result fails than go for breaking..

                        Chandresh

                        Sent from my iPhone

                          From: Tarikere Ramesh <tsramesha@...>
                          Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2012 10:19:23 +0530

                          Dear Sir,

                          Please let me know what action should be taken if 28 days
                          cube test fails after casting the roof concrete.

                          regards,

                          Ramesh.

                          --
                          VISWA THIAGARAJAN & ASSOCIATES,
                          45,5th TRUST CROSS STREET,
                          MANDAVELLI, CHENNAI - 600 028.
                          PH 044 42100696.

                        • RUKMANGATHAN RUKMANGATHAN
                          Message 12 of 30 , Jun 30, 2012
                            Dear Sridhara

                                 It may be non structural crack developed in plastering. Check profile if it is straight one, it is structural crack and it can retrofitted by stitching or providing supplimentry beam just below the crack by resting it one adjacent wall. unless it is due to materials used for plastering. Redo it.

                            Thanks & Regards

                            V.Rukmangathan

                            Message 13 of 30 , Jun 30, 2012
                              Dear Mr.Chandresh,

                              The staircase was casted on site, its not RMC. There are no conduits in the staircase flights.

                              Regards,
                              Sridhara

                              Message 14 of 30 , Jun 30, 2012
                                Dear Mr.Rukmangathan,

                                The staircase flights are not yet plastered. The flights are resting only at first and last steps, they do not have side walls or beams along the flight. The staircase is doglegged.

                                Regards,
                                Sridhara Munimakula

                                From: Tarikere Ramesh <tsramesha@...>
                                Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2012 10:19:23 +0530

                              • mydeen86@gmail.com
                                Message 15 of 30 , Jun 30, 2012
                                  Hi,
                                  you can do it with v grove method.use the v grove grinder to make the crack as v shaped,then fill it epoxy grout or cement grout which is available in the market as a remedy for the cracks.

                                  Thank you.

                                  Sent from my Nokia phone

                                  ________________________________

                                  Message 16 of 30 , Jun 30, 2012
                                    Cracks appeared in top or bottom of slab.

                                    V.Rukmangathan

                                    ------------------------------

                                  • Tarikere Ramesh

                                      Message 18 of 30 , Jul 1, 2012
                                        Dear Mr.Rukmangathan,

                                        The cracks are underneath the staircase flight.

                                        Regards,
                                        Sridhara

                                        Cracks appeared in top or bottom of slab.

                                        V.Rukmangathan

                                        ------------------------------
                                        On Sat 30 Jun, 2012 7:46 PM IST sridhara munimakula wrote:

                                        >Dear Mr.Rukmangathan,
                                        >
                                        >The staircase flights are not yet plastered. The flights are resting only at first and last steps, they do not have side walls or beams along the flight. The staircase is doglegged.
                                        >
                                        >Regards,
                                        >Sridhara Munimakula
                                        >

                                        >________________________________

                                      • sridhara munimakula

                                          Cracks appeared in top or bottom of slab.

                                          V.Rukmangathan

                                          ------------------------------
                                          On Sat 30 Jun, 2012 7:46 PM IST sridhara munimakula wrote:

                                          >Dear Mr.Rukmangathan,
                                          >
                                          >The staircase flights are not yet plastered. The flights are resting only at first and last steps, they do not have side walls or beams along the flight. The staircase is doglegged.
                                          >
                                          >Regards,
                                          >Sridhara Munimakula
                                          >

                                          >________________________________

                                        • sridhara munimakula

                                            Cracks appeared in top or bottom of slab.

                                            V.Rukmangathan

                                            ------------------------------
                                            On Sat 30 Jun, 2012 7:46 PM IST sridhara munimakula wrote:

                                            >Dear Mr.Rukmangathan,
                                            >
                                            >The staircase flights are not yet plastered. The flights are resting only at first and last steps, they do not have side walls or beams along the flight. The staircase is doglegged.
                                            >
                                            >Regards,
                                            >Sridhara Munimakula
                                            >

                                            >________________________________

                                          • tumne

                                              Cracks appeared in top or bottom of slab.

                                              V.Rukmangathan

                                              ------------------------------
                                              On Sat 30 Jun, 2012 7:46 PM IST sridhara munimakula wrote:

                                              >Dear Mr.Rukmangathan,
                                              >
                                              >The staircase flights are not yet plastered. The flights are resting only at first and last steps, they do not have side walls or beams along the flight. The staircase is doglegged.
                                              >
                                              >Regards,
                                              >Sridhara Munimakula
                                              >

                                              >________________________________

                                              =
                                            • RUKMANGATHAN RUKMANGATHAN
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Jul 1, 2012
                                                Sir
                                                Can u send some images

                                                V.Rukmangatham

                                                ------------------------------
                                                On Sun 1 Jul, 2012 1:47 PM IST sridhara munimakula wrote:

                                                >Dear Mr.Rukmangathan,
                                                >
                                                >The cracks are underneath the staircase flight.
                                                >
                                                >Regards,
                                                >Sridhara
                                                >

                                                >________________________________

                                              • hs sekhon
                                                Message 23 of 30 , Jul 3, 2012
                                                  Dear friends,
                                                  after respecting your professional experience and good guideline for my problem, that I have casted RCC roof slab of two houses on 2-7-2012 of M20 mix RMC. Day temp. was 32to 43 degree Celsius with humidity 45% to 75% due to paddy plantation season in Punjab. Concreting was done from 4 PM to 8 PM. Next day due to power failure water supply systems were not working. we could arrange water tanker from market at about 11 AM needed for flood curing. In the mean time roof slab got carcked from topside and a mesh of crackes appeared very fastly whichdisturbed me a lot as we took two hours to pump whole tanker of water on roof top. unfortunatly whole water seeped through hair cracks ranging from 0.1 MM to 1.0 MM in width. which we have repaired with neat cement slurry so that we may be able to prevent leakage and store water for curing. In my 25 years professional life  it was a very sad day.
                                                  now my question is:
                                                  was there any chemical admixture in RMC which caused high heat generation in concrete setting and caused shrinkage of concerete at very fast speed.
                                                  or it was due to high atmospheric temperature. or any other reason that we have not taken care for.
                                                  please share yours ideas  so that we may alert ourself.
                                                  thanx.
                                                  hssekhon, 09814039069

                                                  On Sun 1 Jul, 2012 1:47 PM IST sridhara munimakula wrote:

                                                  >Dear Mr.Rukmangathan,
                                                  >
                                                  >The cracks are underneath the staircase flight.
                                                  >
                                                  >Regards,
                                                  >Sridhara
                                                  >

                                                  >________________________________

                                                • satish tumne
                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Jul 3, 2012
                                                  • 1 Attachment
                                                  • 6.8 MB
                                                  Dear hs sekhon ,
                                                  one can understand your feelings about your work,
                                                  please find attched book and refer to sect 2 about cracks in fresh concrete,
                                                  hope that you have recovered and find way to correct.
                                                  thanks
                                                  Satish Tumne

                                                  On Sun 1 Jul, 2012 1:47 PM IST sridhara munimakula wrote:

                                                  >Dear Mr.Rukmangathan,
                                                  >
                                                  >The cracks are underneath the staircase flight.
                                                  >
                                                  >Regards,
                                                  >Sridhara
                                                  >

                                                  >________________________________

                                                • harshad mane
                                                  Message 25 of 30 , Jul 4, 2012
                                                    dear friend,

                                                    as per your description i think there would some problem as is as follows:-
                                                    1) poor workmanship
                                                    2) concrete bleeding
                                                    3) for slab you use M 20 but practically you have to use M 25
                                                    4) As you mention the temperature you have to broom the surface of concrete when concrete sets immediately & u have to sprinkle water on the surface
                                                    5) concrete slump

                                                    On Sun 1 Jul, 2012 1:47 PM IST sridhara munimakula wrote:

                                                    >Dear Mr.Rukmangathan,
                                                    >
                                                    >The cracks are underneath the staircase flight.
                                                    >
                                                    >Regards,
                                                    >Sridhara
                                                    >

                                                    >________________________________

                                                  • adekunle edu
                                                    Message 26 of 30 , Jul 4, 2012
                                                      Good Day,
                                                      Do you apply admixture? The result of 7 day crushing cube test will justify the expected crushing strength result in 28 day cube test by factor it. Let prove further on material & temperature. Thanks

                                                      Edu

                                                      On Sun 1 Jul, 2012 1:47 PM IST sridhara munimakula wrote:

                                                      >Dear Mr.Rukmangathan,
                                                      >
                                                      >The cracks are underneath the staircase flight.
                                                      >
                                                      >Regards,
                                                      >Sridhara
                                                      >

                                                      >________________________________

                                                    • Abhilash
                                                      Message 27 of 30 , Jul 4, 2012
                                                        Good Day,

                                                        Go for chemical grouting ,will be expensive but will save your sleep

                                                        With Regards,
                                                        Abhilash Sathyan
                                                        Mob Nr:-00971504820347

                                                      • sajaad ali soomro
                                                        Message 28 of 30 , Jul 4, 2012
                                                          core cutting and concrete rebound test can be suggested it it fails then demolishing the final action. i had faced same problem in shaft of the flyover.

                                                          Engr Sajaad Ali Soomro
                                                          Civil Engineer (Water Resources) Hyderabad
                                                          Louis Berger International
                                                          Phone (Work): 92 222 730392
                                                          Mobile: 92 333 2770889

                                                          Message 29 of 30 , Jul 4, 2012
                                                            its nothing but heat of hydration...chemical admixtures used by RMC players do not constribute to heat of concrete
                                                            yes , SP25 is an excellent handbook to study for cracks....As an civil engineer we should be well aware of the reasons of cracks in concrete. Normally we tend to blame cement manufacturer or RMC players for this...but this is not so in majority of cases.

                                                            Also you can search of google for " cracks in concrete " there is load of info. on it

                                                            regards

                                                            SANDEEP MATHUR
                                                            HEAD-CONCRETE DIVISION
                                                            CONPLUS - RMC-AHMEDABAD

                                                            On Sun 1 Jul, 2012 1:47 PM IST sridhara munimakula wrote:

                                                            >Dear Mr.Rukmangathan,
                                                            >
                                                            >The cracks are underneath the staircase flight.
                                                            >
                                                            >Regards,
                                                            >Sridhara

                                                          • Ar.S.Ibrahim
                                                            Message 30 of 30 , Jul 9, 2012
                                                              It could be Segregation of concrete. better make sure with lab..

                                                              Er.S. Ibrahim

                                                              =