Re: [engineeringcivil]

  • hamid Naveed
    Message 1 of 26 , Aug 31, 2009
      Dear Prasad,

      Please find here with some links related to Windmill Tower

      Hope these links are helpfull for you.

      Thanks & Regard.

      Hamid Naveed Ahmad

      Message 2 of 26 , Aug 31, 2009
        Hello frnd
                     I want to design a residential multisoried complex and a commercial building....this is my first project....could anyone suggest, wat all codes are required for designing ie, for loading etc....

      • Praveen Pandey
        Message 3 of 26 , Sep 1, 2009
          thanks joining with me, reaily i solved your problems, but you contact me on vijayshreepraveen@...

          Looking for local information? Find it on Yahoo! Local
        • jorge alberto uriarte perez
          Message 4 of 26 , Sep 3, 2009
            This question is really weird (with all respect). Any Structural Analysis and Statics book teach you what you are questioning, I will write some books to you:

            Structural Analysis                                 Statics

            J. Laible                                            Beer & Johnston
            R. Hibbeler                                        Hibbeler
            Mc Cormac

            To my those are excellent books to learn those issues you wrote.

            I hope there in India exists many good books about those subjects.  J. Uriarte..civil engineer,  structural engineer   Mexico

            From: mak kalam <mak4kalam@gmail. com>
            To: engineeringcivil@ yahoogroups. com
            Date: Friday, August 28, 2009, 1:31 AM

            my friend the think is that u should frist analyse the question then start solving , then only u will get interest, if u get a simple one then go for another one in thet way u may get interest and u may do the problems , remember structural analyse needs lot of practise.

            On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 1:23 PM, Srinivasa Rao Chilamkurty <srinivasarao_ chilamkurty@ yahoo.com> wrote:

            some teachers in colleges dont teach well. I think u can go for tution.

            Srinivas

            Sent: Wednesday, 26 August, 2009 10:34:42 AM
            Subject: [engineeringcivil] Structure Problems

            Hi friendzzz,

             I am a student of 5th semester civil engineering. But my concepts of mechanics of solid & structural analysis are very poor. how can i improve my structure.

            Topics: (which are creating so many problems for me)

            1- Bending moment diagram, shear force diagram.
            2- Deflection. ( all 4 methods )
            3- Determinacy of Structures
            4- Trusses
            5- Arches

            Plz help me,

            Regards
            Zain Imran

            Do You Yahoo!?
            http://mail. yahoo.com

            start: 2008-06-21 end: 0000-00-00
            See the Web's breaking stories, chosen by people like you. Check out Yahoo! Buzz.

          • BOOPATHYRAJA SUBRAMANIAN
            Message 5 of 26 , Sep 5, 2009
              IS 875 Part I, II, III

              On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 11:52 AM, sofia chawla <me_hrida@...> wrote:

              Hello frnd
                           I want to design a residential multisoried complex and a commercial building....this is my first project....could anyone suggest, wat all codes are required for designing ie, for loading etc....

              Thanks & Regards
              sboopa
            • venkatesh kasi
              Message 6 of 26 , Mar 6, 2010

                Dear all,

                please check the link attached having a book of Laurie Baker's Book "Cost cutting method"

                Thanks & Regards,

                Venkatesh
                Planning Enigneer
                Samsung Corporation
                Dubai, UAE

                From: Nanthan Navam <nanthan14@yahoo. com>
                Subject: [engineeringcivil] Low cost house tips
                To: engineeringcivil@ yahoogroups. com
                Date: Sunday, August 30, 2009, 12:57 AM

                Low Cost Housing

                Low Cost Housing is a new concept which deals with effective budgeting and following of techniques which help in reducing the cost construction through the use of locally available materials along with improved skills and technology without sacrificing the strength, performance and life of the structure. There is huge misconception that low cost housing is suitable for only sub standard works and they are constructed by utilizing cheap building materials of low quality. The fact is that Low cost housing is done by proper management of resources. Economy is also achieved by postponing finishing works or implementing them in phases.
                Building Cost
                The building construction cost can be divided into two parts namely:
                Building material cost : 65 to 70 %
                Labour cost : 65 to 70 %
                Now in low cost housing, building material cost is less because we make use of the locally available materials and also the labour cost can be reduced by properly making the time schedule of our work. Cost of reduction is achieved by selection of more efficient material or by an improved design.

                Areas from where cost can be reduced are:-

                1) Reduce plinth area by using thinner wall concept.Ex.15 cms thick solid concrete block wall.

                2) Use locally available material in an innovative form like soil cement blocks in place of burnt brick.

                3) Use energy efficiency materials which consumes less energy like concrete block in place of burnt brick.

                4) Use environmentally friendly materials which are substitute for conventional building components like use R.C.C. Door and window frames in place of wooden frames.

                5) Preplan every component of a house and rationalize the design procedure for reducing the size of the component in the building.

                6) By planning each and every component of a house the wastage of materials due to demolition of the unplanned component of the house can be avoided.

                7) Each component of the house shall be checked whether if it’s necessary, if it is not necessary, then that component should not be used.

                Cost reduction through adhoc methods

                Foundation
                Normally the foundation cost comes to about 10 to 15% of the total building and usually foundation depth of 3 to 4 ft. is adopted for single or double store building and also the concrete bed of 6″(15 Cms.) is used for the foundation which could be avoided.
                It is recommended to adopt a foundation depth of 2 ft.(0.6m) for normal soil like gravely soil, red soils etc., and use the uncoursed rubble masonry with the bond stones and good packing. Similarly the foundation width is rationalized to 2 ft.(0.6m).To avoid cracks formation in foundation the masonry shall be thoroughly packed with cement mortar of 1:8 boulders and bond stones at regular intervals.
                It is further suggested adopt arch foundation in ordinary soil for effecting reduction in construction cost up to 40%.This kind of foundation will help in bridging the loose pockets of soil which occurs along the foundation.
                In the case black cotton and other soft soils it is recommend to use under ream pile foundation which saves about 20 to 25% in cost over the conventional method of construction.

                Plinth
                It is suggested to adopt 1 ft. height above ground level for the plinth and may be constructed with a cement mortar of 1:6. The plinth slab of 4 to 6″ which is normally adopted can be avoided and in its place brick on edge can be used for reducing the cost. By adopting this procedure the cost of plinth foundation can be reduced by about 35 to 50%.It is necessary to take precaution of providing impervious blanket like concrete slabs or stone slabs all round the building for enabling to reduce erosion of soil and thereby avoiding exposure of foundation surface and crack formation.

                Walling
                Wall thickness of 6 to 9″ is recommended for adoption in the construction of walls all-round the building and 41/2 ” for inside walls. It is suggested to use burnt bricks which are immersed in water for 24 hours and then shall be used for the walls

                Rat - trap bond wall
                It is a cavity wall construction with added advantage of thermal comfort and reduction in the quantity of bricks required for masonry work. By adopting this method of bonding of brick masonry compared to traditional English or Flemish bond masonry, it is possible to reduce in the material cost of bricks by 25% and about 10to 15% in the masonry cost. By adopting rat-trap bond method one can create aesthetically pleasing wall surface and plastering can be avoided.

                Concrete block walling
                In view of high energy consumption by burnt brick it is suggested to use concrete block (block hollow and solid) which consumes about only 1/3 of the energy of the burnt bricks in its production. By using concrete block masonry the wall thickness can be reduced from 20 cms to 15 Cms. Concrete block masonry saves mortar consumption, speedy construction of wall resulting in higher output of labour, plastering can be avoided thereby an overall saving of 10 to 25% can be achieved.

                Soil cement block technology
                It is an alternative method of construction of walls using soil cement blocks in place of burnt bricks masonry. It is an energy efficient method of construction where soil mixed with 5% and above cement and pressed in hand operated machine and cured well and then used in the masonry. This masonry doesn’t require plastering on both sides of the wall. The overall economy that could be achieved with the soil cement technology is about 15 to 20% compared to conventional method of construction.

                Doors and windows
                It is suggested not to use wood for doors and windows and in its place concrete or steel section frames shall be used for achieving saving in cost up to 30 to 40%.Similiarly for shutters commercially available block boards, fibre or wooden practical boards etc., shall be used for reducing the cost by about 25%.By adopting brick jelly work and precast components effective ventilation could be provided to the building and also the construction cost could be saved up to 50% over the window components.

                Lintals and Chajjas
                The traditional R.C.C. lintels which are costly can be replaced by brick arches for small spans and save construction cost up to 30 to 40% over the traditional method of construction. By adopting arches of different shapes a good architectural pleasing appearance can be given to the external wall surfaces of the brick masonry.

                Roofing
                Normally 5″(12.5 cms) thick R.C.C. slabs is used for roofing of residential buildings. By adopting rationally designed insitu construction practices like filler slab and precast elements the construction cost of roofing can be reduced by about 20 to 25%.

                Filler slabs
                They are normal RCC slabs where bottom half (tension) concrete portions are replaced by filler materials such as bricks, tiles, cellular concrete blocks, etc.These filler materials are so placed as not to compromise structural strength, result in replacing unwanted and nonfunctional tension concrete, thus resulting in economy. These are safe, sound and provide aesthetically pleasing pattern ceilings and also need no plaster.

                For more on filler materials check Filler Materials Used in Concrete

                Jack arch roof/floor
                They are easy to construct, save on cement and steel, are more appropriate in hot climates. These can be constructed using compressed earth blocks also as alternative to bricks for further economy.

                Ferrocement channel/shell unit
                Provide an economic solution to RCC slab by providing 30 to 40% cost reduction on floor/roof unit over RCC slabs without compromising the strength. These being precast, construction is speedy, economical due to avoidance of shuttering and facilitate quality control.

                Finishing Work
                The cost of finishing items like sanitary, electricity, painting etc., varies depending upon the type and quality of products used in the building and its cost reduction is left to the individual choice and liking.

                Conclusion
                The above list of suggestion for reducing construction cost is of general nature and it varies depending upon the nature of the building to be constructed, budget of the owner, geographical location where the house is to be constructed, availability of the building material, good construction management practices etc. However it is necessary that good planning and design methods shall be adopted by utilizing the services of an experienced engineer or an architect for supervising the work, thereby achieving overall cost effectiveness to the extent of 25% in actual practice.

                N.Nanthan
                Tel: +974 6948283

                Laughter is the shortest distance between friends

                From: Arneet Singh Sarna <myself.arneet@ yahoo.com>
                To: engineeringcivil@ yahoogroups. com
                Date: Friday, August 28, 2009, 4:55 PM

                brother i had faced d same prob n therfore i would suggest a book by Pandit & Gupta 4 dis as it has very easy language.

                From: Dedy Zulyandi <ddy_zulyandi@ yahoo.co. id>
                Subject: [engineeringcivil] salam kenal
                To: engineeringcivil@ yahoogroups. com
                Date: Thursday, August 27, 2009, 12:29 PM

                salam kenal

                Terkirim: Rabu, 26 Agustus, 2009 12:04:42
                Judul: [engineeringcivil] Structure Problems

                Hi friendzzz,

                 I am a student of 5th semester civil engineering. But my concepts of mechanics of solid & structural analysis are very poor. how can i improve my structure.

                Topics: (which are creating so many problems for me)

                1- Bending moment diagram, shear force diagram.
                2- Deflection. ( all 4 methods )
                3- Determinacy of Structures
                4- Trusses
                5- Arches

                Plz help me,

                Regards
                Zain Imran

                Do You Yahoo!?
                http://mail. yahoo.com

                start: 0000-00-00 end: 0000-00-00
                Selalu bisa chat di profil jaringan, blog, atau situs web pribadi!
                Yahoo! memungkinkan Anda selalu bisa chat melalui Pingbox. Coba!

                Get your new Email address!