core test failure of 36/20 i.e. 45N/Sqmm

  • T S MANYAM
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 3, 2013
      Dear All,

      in our site Cubes of above strength of 28 days fail then conducted core test on the same locations unfortunately this also failed but we are getting the results more than 29 N/Sqmm.

      how will we overcome this issue.

      Please be advice.
    • Yasela Sumanasinghe
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 3, 2013
        In this case my advise is to revisit the design and find out the actual safety margin it has. If the design is marginal design , probably you may have to demolish the structure and replace it. Otherwise , if design has a larger safety margin you can adopt a schemed hammer test to test the concrete consisitany, strength. Then you have to justify that the achieved concrete strength is acceptable forparticular applied loads. In this case you may have to provided a design justification on concrete uls design as well as crack widths, early thermal cracking etc.

        Yasela Sumanasinghe
        B.Sc.Eng. (Hon.), P.G.Dip (Mgt.), M.Sc.(Australia), C.Eng, MIESL
        Structural Bridge Engineer
        SMEC INTERNATIONAL PVT LTD.
      • Sakthi Vel
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 5, 2013
          Hello

              L/d ratio is core cutting L means length d means Dia of core  refer is Code 516

          On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 11:49 AM, Yasela Sumanasinghe <yasela_s@...> wrote:

          In this case my advise is to revisit the design and find out the actual safety margin it has. If the design is marginal design , probably you may have to demolish the structure and replace it. Otherwise , if design has a larger safety margin you can adopt a schemed hammer test to test the concrete consisitany, strength. Then you have to justify that the achieved concrete strength is acceptable forparticular applied loads. In this case you may have to provided a design justification on concrete uls design as well as crack widths, early thermal cracking etc.

          Yasela Sumanasinghe
          B.Sc.Eng. (Hon.), P.G.Dip (Mgt.), M.Sc.(Australia), C.Eng, MIESL
          Structural Bridge Engineer
          SMEC INTERNATIONAL PVT LTD.

        • Subhramanyam Tummi
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 5, 2013
            Hi,

            my question is if l/d is 1 whats the correctin factor? is it .87 or 1?

            With Best Regards,
            Subhramanyam Tummi,

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 6, 2013
              hi.

              according to astm c-42 if  l/d is 1 then correction facor is 0.87

              &

              according to bs-1881;part 120;1983  if l/d is 1 then correction factor is 0.80

              with best wishes

              amir khaliq

              To: engineeringcivil@yahoogroups.com