Re: [engineeringcivil] minimum depth of backfill to be soil tested

  • Mahesh B.L.
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 31, 2012
      Bernard,

      This should pose no problem.  Perform a laboratory Modified Proctor Compaction Test to obtain the fill's MDD and OMC.  Usually "select fill" is placed below the foundations when required.  Place the fill in the pit excavated for foundation and compact it to 95% of its MDD in layers of 150mm until you reach your required founding level.  After completion, start placing your foundation concrete.

      If your fill is not select fill, make sure to perform Atterberg limits test to ensure that the PI and limits are within the required limits.

      I hope the subsoil beneath the foundation is strong enough to take the designed loads from the columns!!

      Regards,
      Mahesh

      On Sat, Sep 1, 2012 at 1:31 PM, BERNARD D <nard_gd@...> wrote:

      Dear all,

      What is the minimum depth of back-fill that is required to make soil test.
      i have only 250 to 300 mm back fill and the consultant told me to make a soil test before
      doing the small foundation of a 3.40m x 3,.40m AMR PANEL ROOM for a substation with 4 columns, 1 each corner and the foundation is 2meters by 2m by 300mm depth and the depth of footing is 1.50 meters from natural ground level. the subcontractor excavated too much, 1.80 meters thats why we make 300mm backfill.
      Guys, i need your opinion with this.

      Thank you very much.

      Best regards,

      BERNARD

    • Mahesh B.L.

        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 1, 2012
          Hi

            Back filling

              Generally 200 mm Back fill because core Test mould 200 mm . every layer fill 250 mm lay and compact take core and determine compaction This is the method back filling

          On Sat, Sep 1, 2012 at 12:20 PM, Mahesh B.L. <geo.mahesh@...> wrote:

[...]

        • BERNARD D
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 2, 2012
            Hello Engr. Mahesh,

            Thanks a lot for your reply. Yes the natural soil beneth the foundation is adobe and its really strong enought to hold the foundation of a small room for 2 AMR (Automatic Meter Reading) Panels connected to a substation.
            I was just convincing the consultant that no need to make laboratory soil test because its only a small room and its costly and time consuming to make soil test. and i assure them that we backfill and ccompact it according to the correct method and specification.

            Bernard

            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 2, 2012
              Bernard,

              I understand your problem.  But I presume to obtain the laboratory test results, it may hardly take 2-3 days from the day you provide the sample to a soil laboratory and they start the work immediately on it.

              If the client says it is to be done and if it is in the contract between you and your client, then I think we ought to respect the engineering ethics.

              Go ahead, all the best.

              Regards,
              Mahesh

              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 4, 2012
                yes you are right engineer Mahesh. i should respect engineering ethics.and its also safer for my side. thanks a lot for your concerned and support. God bless u more..

                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 4, 2012

                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 4, 2012
                    dear,
                     In many cases contract says to fill up this extra excavation by means of concrete and it is at the cost of contractor.
                    to get earth filling tested for compression is easy way out
                    thanks
                    Satish Tumne

                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 4, 2012
                      Thank you Mr. Satish,  but 300mm thick concrete as fill for over excavation is costly so i would rather backfill with suitable soil and backfill and make compaction test.

                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 12, 2012
                        fill the over excavated foundation with suitable back fill material and get its field density and copare with the MDD at lab . its more than 95% the compaction is ok go for further works .

                        Sujit Dhital