5506Re: [engineeringcivil] (unknown)

  • sanjaynaik_eta .
    Jun 28, 2010
      World's first ‘building in motion’ ready in 2 years
      Copyright - Dynamic Architecture/David Fisher

      Rotating Tower design will begin construction in next few weeks
      On Tuesday 24th June, press were treated to an introduction to the
      world’s first ‘building in motion’. Rotating Tower, designed by
      Italian architect David Fisher, is expected to move from design to
      reality in less than two years.

      The design, in collaboration with British firm Dynamic Architecture
      Group, will be premiered in two locations: Moscow and Dubai which were
      chosen for very different reasons. Dubai was Fisher’s first choice for
      the tower. He said: “Dubai is a city of the future and I think that
      the building of the future should be in the city of the future.” He
      took inspiration from UAE Vice President and Dubai ruler, Sheikh
      Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, who told him: “Don’t wait for the
      future, face the future.” Moscow got involved by approaching Fisher
      who accepted the Russians proposal knowing that they would be 'fast at
      putting things together'.

      Dubai’s building will reach 80 floors: The top 10 floors will be used
      for luxury ‘Villa’ style apartments, below which a further 35 floors
      of accommodation, then the 15 floors below will comprise an
      extravagant hotel and the lowest 20 floors used as retail space.

      The segmented tower design will allow each floor to turn independently
      using voice recognition technology and giving those inside an
      ever-changing view over the space of 1 to 3 hours. In the Dubai
      building the voice recognition will be able to interpret such
      instructions as ‘left’ or ‘right’ in English, Arabic or Italian but
      any language could be programmed in for further buildings.

      It was suggested by one journalist that there may be difficulties when
      one floor is occupied by more than one tenant. Fisher responded that
      the architects would be able to adapt a building in whichever way
      necessary to suit their needs and added: “It opens a way of
      thinking... people start to think in a different direction.”

      Rotating Tower is the Italian architect’s first skyscraper design but
      he is confident that he will be able to pull off the concept, first
      listing his experience in the architecture world and then by stating:
      “I did not design skyscrapers but I feel completely ready to do so.”

      The Rotating Tower design uses photovoltaic cells and wind turbine
      technology to collect enough energy to power itself and Fisher says
      they ‘will have some so we can sell to the neighbours’. The cells
      which will be placed on the top surface of each floor will be 15% open
      to the sun’s rays on all 80 floors for the full day helping to power
      the building.

      It is hoped that the tower’s design could be adaptable worldwide with
      the same power generation capabilities. Fisher said: “Most cities in
      the world have enough wind to power these turbines – we have used
      German technology and are testing in Italy and it seems we have enough
      power” (for the current buildings).

      The towers will also be the first skyscrapers to be entirely
      constructed from prefabricated parts put together in a factory in
      Southern Italy by a team of 600 in the facility and 80 on-site. Moscow
      and Dubai’s towers will begin construction in the next few weeks in
      Italy where the bathrooms, the most complicated part of the design
      according to Fisher, will be created and it is hoped they will be able
      to break ground in the next couple of months. While there has been
      interest from several countries throughout the world Fisher hopes that
      New York will be the next to pick up on the concept.
    • Show all 21 messages in this topic