10480Re: [engineeringcivil] minimum depth of backfill to be soil tested

  • BERNARD D
    Sep 4, 2012
      Thank you Mr. Satish,  but 300mm thick concrete as fill for over excavation is costly so i would rather backfill with suitable soil and backfill and make compaction test.

      From: satish tumne <tumne@...>
      To: "engineeringcivil@yahoogroups.com" <engineeringcivil@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Tuesday, September 4, 2012 1:29 PM
      Subject: Re: [engineeringcivil] minimum depth of backfill to be soil tested

      dear,
       In many cases contract says to fill up this extra excavation by means of concrete and it is at the cost of contractor.
      to get earth filling tested for compression is easy way out
      thanks
      Satish Tumne

      From: Mahesh B.L. <geo.mahesh@...>
      To: engineeringcivil@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Sunday, September 2, 2012, 4:54 AM

      Bernard,

      I understand your problem.  But I presume to obtain the laboratory test results, it may hardly take 2-3 days from the day you provide the sample to a soil laboratory and they start the work immediately on it.

      If the client says it is to be done and if it is in the contract between you and your client, then I think we ought to respect the engineering ethics.

      Go ahead, all the best.

      Regards,
      Mahesh

      On Sun, Sep 2, 2012 at 6:00 PM, BERNARD D <nard_gd@...> wrote:

      Hello Engr. Mahesh,

      Thanks a lot for your reply. Yes the natural soil beneth the foundation is adobe and its really strong enought to hold the foundation of a small room for 2 AMR (Automatic Meter Reading) Panels connected to a substation.
      I was just convincing the consultant that no need to make laboratory soil test because its only a small room and its costly and time consuming to make soil test. and i assure them that we backfill and ccompact it according to the correct method and specification.

      Bernard