10447Re: [engineeringcivil] minimum depth of backfill to be soil tested

  • Mahesh B.L.
    Aug 31, 2012
      Bernard,

      This should pose no problem.  Perform a laboratory Modified Proctor Compaction Test to obtain the fill's MDD and OMC.  Usually "select fill" is placed below the foundations when required.  Place the fill in the pit excavated for foundation and compact it to 95% of its MDD in layers of 150mm until you reach your required founding level.  After completion, start placing your foundation concrete.

      If your fill is not select fill, make sure to perform Atterberg limits test to ensure that the PI and limits are within the required limits.

      I hope the subsoil beneath the foundation is strong enough to take the designed loads from the columns!!

      Regards,
      Mahesh

      On Sat, Sep 1, 2012 at 1:31 PM, BERNARD D <nard_gd@...> wrote:

      Dear all,

      What is the minimum depth of back-fill that is required to make soil test.
      i have only 250 to 300 mm back fill and the consultant told me to make a soil test before
      doing the small foundation of a 3.40m x 3,.40m AMR PANEL ROOM for a substation with 4 columns, 1 each corner and the foundation is 2meters by 2m by 300mm depth and the depth of footing is 1.50 meters from natural ground level. the subcontractor excavated too much, 1.80 meters thats why we make 300mm backfill.
      Guys, i need your opinion with this.

      Thank you very much.

      Best regards,

      BERNARD