Re: [energyresources] Re: Tenth Amendment Lives!

  • L. B. Crowell
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 30, 2006
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Mark Knapp <geocogent@...>
      To: <energyresources@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Friday, April 28, 2006 7:25 PM
      Subject: [energyresources] Re: Tenth Amendment Lives!

      > Larry Crowell wrote:
      >
      > > State's rights finds its ultimate bizarre extreme with the
      > > county-ists (or some such thing) who advocate that the
      > > fundamental political unit should be the county. They
      > > further advocate that primary political power should rest
      > > with the sherrif. [sic] Great, this is a prescription for
      > > a march back to feudalism.
      >
      > That's an irrational conclusion, because no evidence was presented.
      > I don't think that county government is necessarily feudal. Nor are
      > intentional communities, by the way. Small is beautiful.

      In principle of course. Communism is a perfect system as well. Yet a world run on the county level run by the sherrif is not that different than a medieval fiefdom run by a king. Again potentially an ideal system, if the king is a "nice guy."

      Ever heard of the idea of a nation of laws and not of men?

      > http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/personal-attack.html
      >
      > Ad Hominem Abusive
      >
      > A personal attack is committed when a person substitutes abusive
      > remarks for evidence when attacking another person's claim or claims.
      > This line of "reasoning" is fallacious because the attack is
      > directed at the person making the claim and not the claim itself.
      > The truth value of a claim is independent of the person making the
      > claim. After all, no matter how repugnant an individual might be, he
      > or she can still make true claims.

      At a certain point I call a spade a spade. Anyone who constantly pounds an issue which degrades people, advocates extreme principles and so forth is at best wrong, and I suspect maybe not in their right mind. Maybe I am wrong, but we seem to be in an age where wackos of a political and religious nature are popping up like weeds. And frankly I think people such as Limbaugh or Robertson may have mental pathologies. People who constantly trumpet racist ideas I also suspect are pathological. People like Abernethy may just represent the next step in our race to a future endarkenment, as the immigration issue heats up. I suspect this issue may just be the next downward step as our world is being run by people of an increasingly pathological nature.

      No it is not meant to be ad hominem, any more than saying Stalin or Hitler probably had mental pathologies is such. Abernethy is just a few steps away from being a white supremist fascist, and frankly I think such people are crazy. It might be important to see this and say this, because crazy people when given sufficient latitude end up doing really crazy things.

      Lawrence B. Crowell

      A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds. --- Emerson

    • Mark Knapp
      Message 2 of 12 , May 1, 2006
        Larry Crowell wrote:

        > > > They further advocate that primary political power should
        > > > rest with the sherrif. [sic] Great, this is a prescription
        > > > for a march back to feudalism.

        > > That's an irrational conclusion, because no evidence was
        > > presented.

        > Yet a world run on the county level run by the sherrif [sic]
        > is not that different than a medieval fiefdom run by a king.

        That's another declarative statement with no support. In Larry's
        world, a millennium apparently contributes nothing toward
        "different".

        > Ever heard of the idea of a nation of laws and not of men?

        Ever heard of logical reasoning?

        Mark Knapp

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • L. B. Crowell