peak oil becoming de facto

  • Jerry McManus
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 4, 2006
      Found this in the flyer that gets tucked into my electric bill each month
      (and seen by at least one or two million fellow customers). After briefly
      discussing the accomplishments of the first hundred years of Seattle City
      Light the superintendent Jorge Carrasco goes on to comment about future
      challenges:

      "We have different challenges, but they are no less daunting:

      "- We must build a new energy strategy in the face of global warming,
      escalating energy prices , and the predicted end to the era of fossil fuels.

      "- In the face of unprecedented technological change, we must be open to
      new ideas and new technologies that will fundamentally change the way energy
      is produced and transported.

      "- Finally, in the face of enormous pressure on our environment, we will
      have to make sure our legacy is not only measured by the power we produce,
      but by the environment we hand over to other generations."

      Wow. A realistic and sober assessment of our predicament from someone at
      the top of 'the establishment' is refreshing to see, but it was the
      'predicted end to the era of fossil fuels' that caught my eye. Predicted by
      who? ExxonMobil? Michael Lynch? George W. Bush?

      This would seem to support the speculation I've seen on this list that Peak
      Oil, Climate Chaos and Ecosystem Collapse will quietly become 'de facto' and
      the vociferous deniers of same will suddenly change their tune and start
      acting like they were the ones who were predicting it was going to happen
      all along.

      Cheers,
      Jerry