AHEM!! - ...(tap tap) is this thing on....

  • Richard
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 31, 2005
      Richard <roccman2003@...> wrote: George Carlin's "The Planet Is Fine"
      I heard this on XM Comedy Channel 150 on the way to work, and I absolutely loved it! Let's see what you guys think of it:

      We're so self-important. So self-important. Everybody's going to save something now. "Save the trees, save the bees, save the whales, save those snails." And the greatest arrogance of all: save the planet. What? Are these fucking people kidding me? Save the planet, we don't even know how to take care of ourselves yet. We haven't learned how to care for one another, we're gonna save the fucking planet?

      I'm getting tired of that shit. Tired of that shit. I'm tired of fucking Earth Day, I'm tired of these self-righteous environmentalists, these white, bourgeois liberals who think the only thing wrong with this country is there aren't enough bicycle paths. People trying to make the world save for their Volvos. Besides, environmentalists don't give a shit about the planet. They don't care about the planet. Not in the abstract they don't. Not in the abstract they don't. You know what they're interested in? A clean place to live. Their own habitat. They're worried that some day in the future, they might be personally inconvenienced. Narrow, unenlightened self-interest doesn't impress me.

      Besides, there is nothing wrong with the planet. Nothing wrong with the planet. The planet is fine. The PEOPLE are fucked. Difference. Difference. The planet is fine. Compared to the people, the planet is doing great. Been here four and a half billion years. Did you ever think about the arithmetic? The planet has been here four and a half billion years. We've been here, what, a hundred thousand? Maybe two hundred thousand? And we've only been engaged in heavy industry for a little over two hundred years. Two hundred years versus four and a half billion. And we have the CONCEIT to think that somehow we're a threat? That somehow we're gonna put in jeopardy this beautiful little blue-green ball that's just a-floatin' around the sun?

      The planet has been through a lot worse than us. Been through all kinds of things worse than us. Been through earthquakes, volcanoes, plate tectonics, continental drift, solar flares, sun spots, magnetic storms, the magnetic reversal of the poles...hundreds of thousands of years of bombardment by comets and asteroids and meteors, worlwide floods, tidal waves, worldwide fires, erosion, cosmic rays, recurring ice ages...And we think some plastic bags, and some aluminum cans are going to make a difference? The planet...the planet...the planet isn't going anywhere. WE ARE!

      We're going away. Pack your shit, folks. We're going away. And we won't leave much of a trace, either. Thank God for that. Maybe a little styrofoam. Maybe. A little styrofoam. The planet'll be here and we'll be long gone. Just another failed mutation. Just another closed-end biological mistake. An evolutionary cul-de-sac. The planet'll shake us off like a bad case of fleas. A surface nuisance.

      You wanna know how the planet's doing? Ask those people at Pompeii, who are frozen into position from volcanic ash, how the planet's doing. You wanna know if the planet's all right, ask those people in Mexico City or Armenia or a hundred other places buried under thousands of tons of earthquake rubble, if they feel like a threat to the planet this week. Or how about those people in Kilowaia, Hawaii, who built their homes right next to an active volcano, and then wonder why they have lava in the living room.

      The planet will be here for a long, long, LONG time after we're gone, and it will heal itself, it will cleanse itself, 'cause that's what it does. It's a self-correcting system. The air and the water will recover, the earth will be renewed, and if it's true that plastic is not degradable, well, the planet will simply incorporate plastic into a new pardigm: the earth plus plastic. The earth doesn't share our prejudice towards plastic. Plastic came out of the earth. The earth probably sees plastic as just another one of its children. Could be the only reason the earth allowed us to be spawned from it in the first place. It wanted plastic for itself. Didn't know how to make it. Needed us. Could be the answer to our age-old egocentric philosophical question, "Why are we here?" Plastic...asshole.

      So, the plastic is here, our job is done, we can be phased out now. And I think that's begun. Don't you think that's already started? I think, to be fair, the planet sees us as a mild threat. Something to be dealt with. And the planet can defend itself in an organized, collective way, the way a beehive or an ant colony can. A collective defense mechanism. The planet will think of something. What would you do if you were the planet? How would you defend yourself against this troublesome, pesky species? Let's see... Viruses. Viruses might be good. They seem vulnerable to viruses. And, uh...viruses are tricky, always mutating and forming new strains whenever a vaccine is developed. Perhaps, this first virus could be one that compromises the immune system of these creatures. Perhaps a human immunodeficiency virus, making them vulnerable to all sorts of other diseases and infections that might come along. And maybe it could be spread sexually, making them a little reluctant to engage in
      the act of reproduction.

      Well, that's a poetic note. And it's a start. And I can dream, can't I? See I don't worry about the little things: bees, trees, whales, snails. I think we're part of a greater wisdom than we will ever understand. A higher order. Call it what you want. Know what I call it? The Big Electron. The Big Electron...whoooa. Whoooa. Whoooa. It doesn't punish, it doesn't reward, it doesn't judge at all. It just is. And so are we. For a little while.

    • Tim Jones
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 1, 2006
        At 7:26 PM -0800 12/31/05, Richard wrote:
        >Richard <roccman2003@...> wrote: George Carlin's "The
        >Planet Is Fine"

        interesting that you derive a philosophy of life from an acknowledged
        alcohol and narcotics addict in rehab at present.
        The planet is not fine - and neither is George Carlin. He just
        cancelled his engagement in Austin for the third time in
        row... so he could try to recover from his drug problem.

        Focusing on "save the planet" is a strawman argument to make
        environmentalism appear ridiculous. Carlin is a comic
        hardly qualified to envision a viable philosophy of life... not to
        mention he's full of shit.

        AHEM!! - ...(tap tap) is this thing on....

        Tim
        AustinTex

        ~~~~~~~ EnergyResources Moderator Comment ~~~~~~~~

        For the most part, environmentalism is rediculous.

        I have been watching environmentalist do their number for more than half a century now and feel the return on investment in their efforts is massively negative.

        First, for many it is a good way to make a living. But how much of the ecological sciences have developed because of environmentalist support. Mainly I find such support is negative.

        It is simply more fun to reify the warm, fuzzy, cute, majestic, etc. artifacts of nature than it is effective to let people know how nature works and what they can do to get that nature to make its best contribution to their full range of interests.

        More later, but you-all get the idea.

        ~~~~~ EnergyResources Moderator Tom Robertson ~~~~~~

        --
        <http://www.groundtruthinvestigations.com/>
      • Jerry McManus
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 1, 2006
          Brilliant! What a great way to start the new year, with a good hearty
          belly-laugh. Thanks for that.

          Cheers,
          Jerry

          > I heard this on XM Comedy Channel 150 on the way to work, and I absolutely
          loved it! Let's see what you guys think of it:

          > We're so self-important. So self-important. Everybody's going to save
          something now. "Save the trees, save the bees, save the whales, save those
          snails." And the greatest arrogance of all: save the planet. What? Are these
          fucking people kidding me? Save the planet, we don't even know how to take
          care of ourselves yet. We haven't learned how to care for one another, we're
          gonna save the fucking planet?

        • mike porter
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 1, 2006
            tim,

            i am afraid that your inability and failure to critique carlin's
            message has left his proposition that the planet can take care of
            itself totally intact. you have failed in your attempt to diminish
            his credibility. in fact, your choice to attack carlin personally
            rather than to argue the merits of his ideas enhances his credibility.
            you personal attack shows that only carlin, the man, and not his ideas
            are vulnerable.

            you destroy your own feeble case.

            ~mike 47N/117W~

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 1, 2006
              ohh...excuze me being... an acoholic (ur definitition) and drug addict is a bad thing...keep eating chocolate my friend...

              r.

              Tim Jones <deforest@...> wrote:
              At 7:26 PM -0800 12/31/05, Richard wrote:
              >Richard wrote: George Carlin's "The
              >Planet Is Fine"

              interesting that you derive a philosophy of life from an acknowledged
              alcohol and narcotics addict in rehab at present.
              The planet is not fine - and neither is George Carlin. He just
              cancelled his engagement in Austin for the third time in
              row... so he could try to recover from his drug problem.

              Focusing on "save the planet" is a strawman argument to make
              environmentalism appear ridiculous. Carlin is a comic
              hardly qualified to envision a viable philosophy of life... not to
              mention he's full of shit.

              AHEM!! - ...(tap tap) is this thing on....

              Tim
              AustinTex

              ~~~~~~~ EnergyResources Moderator Comment ~~~~~~~~

              For the most part, environmentalism is ridiculous.

              I have been watching environmentalist do their number for more than half a century now and feel the return on investment in their efforts is massively negative.

              First, for many it is a good way to make a living. But how much of the ecological sciences have developed because of environmentalist support. Mainly I find such support is negative.

              It is simply more fun and profitable to reify the warm, fuzzy, cute, majestic, etc. artifacts of nature than it is effectively help people discover how nature works and what they can do to get that nature to make its best contribution to their full range of interests.

              As Carlin suggests, the idea of "protecting nature" does contain a bit of arrogance in it. Nature is the container in which we live and work out our lives--all as a part of, and certainly not separate from nature. Treat nature well and do well. Treat nature otherwise and you do otherwise.

              Either way, nature does it's thing.

              --

              Your message didn't show up on the list? Complaints or compliments?
              Drop me (Tom Robertson) a note at t1r@...
              Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Don Steehler
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 2, 2006
                Commnet(s) inserted below.

                - Don Steehler

                --- In energyresources@yahoogroups.com, Richard <roccman2003@y...> wrote:

                > ohh...excuze me being... an acoholic (ur definitition) and drug
                addict is a bad thing...keep eating chocolate my friend...

                > r.
                >

                > Tim Jones <deforest@a...> wrote:
                > At 7:26 PM -0800 12/31/05, Richard wrote:
                > >Richard wrote: George Carlin's "The
                > >Planet Is Fine"
                >
                > interesting that you derive a philosophy of life from an acknowledged
                > alcohol and narcotics addict in rehab at present.
                > The planet is not fine - and neither is George Carlin. He just
                > cancelled his engagement in Austin for the third time in
                > row... so he could try to recover from his drug problem.
                >
                > Focusing on "save the planet" is a strawman argument to make
                > environmentalism appear ridiculous. Carlin is a comic
                > hardly qualified to envision a viable philosophy of life... not to
                > mention he's full of shit.
                >
                > AHEM!! - ...(tap tap) is this thing on....
                >
                > Tim
                > AustinTex
                >
                > ~~~~~~~ EnergyResources Moderator Comment ~~~~~~~~
                >
                > For the most part, environmentalism is ridiculous.
                >
                > I have been watching environmentalist do their number for more than
                half a century now and feel the return on investment in their efforts
                is massively negative.

                > First, for many it is a good way to make a living. But how much of
                the ecological sciences have developed because of environmentalist
                support. Mainly I find such support is negative.

                > It is simply more fun and profitable to reify the warm, fuzzy, cute,
                majestic, etc. artifacts of nature than it is effectively help people
                discover how nature works and what they can do to get that nature to
                make its best contribution to their full range of interests.

                > As Carlin suggests, the idea of "protecting nature" does contain a
                bit of arrogance in it. Nature is the container in which we live and
                work out our lives--all as a part of, and certainly not separate from
                nature. Treat nature well and do well. Treat nature otherwise and you
                do otherwise.

                > Either way, nature does it's thing.

                I just posted the following link to the ERT list:

                http://history.hanover.edu/texts/voltaire/volnatur.html

                Also, here's a link to another "rant" that is articulated more
                pleasantly, but conveys (IMO) a message similar to Calin's: