Re: Avian Flu/Sars

  • srstolz
    Message 1 of 288 , Nov 30, 2004
      I think that's NET loss, yes. It's umm hugely scary. We came within
      inches of having an out of control epidemic with SARS, which cost
      several hundred million dollars to contain (in direct health care
      costs, not to mention economic problems in Toronto) on a mere 800 or
      so infections and 120 deaths.

      Do the math-- something like SARS comes again, and this time it
      spreads to 400 people, in five cities...the CDC is not at all off-base.

      chris

      --- In energyresources@yahoogroups.com, Dell Erickson <ricks@t...> wrote:

      > Today's Canada + U.S. population is about 340 million. 2% = 6.8 million
      > less net population in five years.
      >
      > I am getting a bit worried here.
      >
      > Do they REALLY mean NET loss?
      >
      > I ask because in five years the North American population would have
      > increased by more than 25 million. Therefore, 25 + 7 = 32 million
      > additional deaths, ~10%. Additional deaths means deaths above normal
      > mortality and fertility/immigration.
      >
      > The health implications of Canadian and U.S. immigration practices
      requires additional thinking. Canadian and U.S. immigration makes
      these countries especially vulnerable. The millions --especially the
      illegals, carry every disease known and then spread the diseases
      throughout the country. Meanwhile their costs of health care
      literally sabotages the health care systems of Americans and Canadians.
      topic...
    • Abernethy, Virginia Deane
      Message 288 of 288 , Jul 19, 2005
        Marisa,
        Thanks for your note. I'll send my paper.

        More important than that is your presentation Friday. For anyone who is an advocate for labor, the principal fact is that rapid growth in the labor supply depresses wages.

        In the United States, we see American labor losing at least $200 billion dollars annually because of immigration. Competition for jobs forces people to accept lower and lower wages, often without any social benefits or security. Also in the United States most do not dare unionize, because employers can so easily replace unionized workers with the many who are standing in line for jobs. [We have far more than the official 5% unemployment rate. That figure does not count people who have stopped looking for work because they think that no jobs are available. We call them "discourage workers" and no one knows the number exactly. Unions are down to about 10% of the workforce in private industry, whereas it used to be nearly 30%.]

        The employers, of course, make greater profits when workers will accept lower and lower compensation. And it is employers' access to the media which leads to the big lie that the economy would collapse without immigration. The UN backs them up with learned studies because they see huge population pressure in some regions of the world and wonder what is to be done with all these people.

        The economy would not collapse without immigration to developed countries. Without immigration, some businesses would turn to innovation and technology so that the same product could be achieved with less labor. This transition increases the productivity of labor, the precursor to non-inflationary increases in wages. Other businesses where technology does not easily substitute for labor would be forced to pay higher wages and offer benefits such as healthcare insurance. Competition for labor results in higher wages and better working conditions.

        I hope this is useful for your presentation...and that you can get support for your conference. Cheers,
        Virginia