Re: [energyresources] Re: Tom's nuclear optimism

  • KHo33333@aol.com
    Message 1 of 81 , Jan 31, 2001
      I have heard that the glassification (vitrification) of nuclear waste into
      glass
      "logs" is not only wasteful but dangerous because gases generated in
      the glass can result in tiny fractures. Can anyone else confirm this?
      Ken Holder
    • tntucker@connectcorp.net
      Message 81 of 81 , Feb 1, 2001
        Good question.
        Remember, we are only discussing waste and not the glassification of
        heavy metals such as Pu and U. When a tonne of Uranium is fissioned,
        that 128 KG of krypton and xenon are formed and that these gases have
        a relatively short half-life, so the main concern is storage to allow
        for substantial decay before being released.

        First step is to identify, from your source, the decay product gas of
        concern if not krypton or xenon.

        Tom Tucker

        --- In energyresources@y..., KHo33333@a... wrote:
        > I have heard that the glassification (vitrification) of nuclear
        waste into
        > glass
        > "logs" is not only wasteful but dangerous because gases generated
        in
        > the glass can result in tiny fractures. Can anyone else confirm
        this?
        > Ken Holder

        Co-moderator's comment: This message is unclear to the average reader whoi may not have followed the thread with attention. It would have been preferable for Tom Trucker to reset the problem in an introduction. Nex time, please, or I will reject.

        Best

        Yves Bajard, co-moderator