Re: [energyresources] Research: Embodied energy of Bicycles

  • Ken Boche
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2000
      Try Rick Heede at Rocky Mt. Institute (heede@...) for leads on
      embodied energy. I would guess that you won't find the information as
      detailed as you'd like but only generally such as aluminum or steel or
      nylon by the pound and possibly welded or stamped or bending fabrication
      processes.

      Ken Boche, Na Makani Energy Initiative
    • Stevenson Munro
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2000
        Look at the book by Wakernagel (sp?) entitled Ecological Footprinting. Look
        at the chapter where a grad student figures out the embodied energy of
        regulary grown tomatoes versus greenhouse grown tomatoes. This grad student
        might have some methodoligical suggestions for you.

        Also, Boston University has a graduate program that studies emergy, just
        what you're doing. They would have a lot of data and methods already nailed
        down.

        Good luck. Let me know how much fossil fuel energy riding my bike uses
        compared to driving my car when you find out.

        stevensonmunro@...

        >From: srgrover@...
        >To: energyresources@onelist.com
        >Subject: [energyresources] Research: Embodied energy of Bicycles
        >Date: 14 Feb 2000 23:11:03 -0000
        >
        >I am a grad sudent in landscape architecture and planning and I am
        >interested in determining the ammount of energy embodied in the production
        >of an average quality commuter bicycle (single person, upright saftey
        >style). Ideally broken down by component part.
        >
        >Any leads at all would be appreciated, thanks.
        >
        >John

      • Doug Salzmann
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 1, 2000
          Stevenson Munro wrote:

          > Look at the book by Wakernagel (sp?) entitled Ecological Footprinting.

          The book Stevenson referred to is:

          Mathis Wackernagel and William Rees
          OUR ECOLOGICAL FOOTPRINT:
          Reducing Human Impact on the Earth

          New Society Pub; ISBN: 086571312X ;
          176 pages (Trade Paper, November 1995)

          Moderator note: When I cite a book, I try to follow the policy of supplying a pointer to it at www.amazon.com Even if no one ever buys a book from amazon, it's still a good idea because it positively identifies the book you are referencing. For example, all the particulars about OUR ECOLOGICAL FOOTPRINT may be known by clicking http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/086571312X

          When you find a particular book at amazon through a search, the link has a lot more information after the ISBN that tells amazon where you came from. For example, http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/086571312X/qid=952103138/sr=1-1/102-4932741-9135217

          All of the stuff in the link after the ISBN is unnecessary and can be eliminated. Jay