Re: AIDS Russia, India, & China

  • William Tamblyn
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 21, 2002
      Philip,

      What you said below reminded me of the following description in
      Fischer's <<The Great Wave>> (p.41):

      "The plague [Black Death] found a vulnerable population that had
      outstripped the means of its subsistence and was already beginning to
      decline [in mid-14th century Europe]. Historian Philip Ziegler
      writes, 'Whatever one's thesis about the inevitability of the Black
      Death, it cannot be denied that it found awaiting it in Europe a
      population singularly ill-equipped to resist. Distracted by wars,
      weakened by malnutrition, exhausted by his struggle to win a living
      from his inadequate portion of ever less fertile land, the medieval
      peasantry was ready to succumb even before the blow had fallen.'"

      Regards,

      Bill