Re: Joules & the latest oil spill

  • Lownie, James
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 20, 2002
      > From: "Peter Hill" <hillpa@...>
      > Subject: Re: Re: Joules & the latest oil spill
      >
      > James,
      >
      > You imply 100% certainty that the energy-related events under
      > the descriptor
      > "dieoff" WILL occur. Be realistic. They have a significant
      > probability of
      > occurring, a probability that is neither nearly 100% nor
      > insignificant.
      >
      > Peter Hill

      Hi Peter,

      I did consider exactly how I should describe (or quantify) the possibility
      of dieoff. The realistic description is that we don't know what the
      probability is. I didn't want to write that because it encourages ignoring
      it. I decided to imply 100% certainty to indicate how seriously I regard
      the problem.

      James