[energyresources] Re: America Oil Thief or Not? was (Re: Bush tries to cut off...)

  • Andrew MacKillop
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 20, 2002

      I'm just looking at the statistics I have, oil consumption details
      (which should show me if US is making others consume less oil), and
      trying to make sense of what you are talking about. What I said was I
      don't have detailed statistics on oil consumption for Zimbabwe or a
      breakdown of africa consumption apart from major players. If you do I
      would be interested to see how the oil consumption went down in 2000.
      Also oil consumption in Africa is increased steadily in the 90's,
      which is why I questioned if it was about US stealing Oil.<

      As long as Africa is down, and stays down, then it may be possible to hike
      out a bit of oil and gas for some time

      Ttry a few figures (available through links on US EIA, OECD IEA, Ecowas,
      WAMU and other sites)

      TOTAL oil consumption of ALL Africa in 1999 was about 2.6 Million
      barrels/day
      Now you know what lies behind figures on GNP/capita or electricity
      consumption per capita in Africa !
      Plenty of African states have a GNP/capita of below 250 USD per year, and
      electricity consumption of 30 kWh/person/yr

      Total oil production of all Africa in 1999 was about 7.8 Mbd, giving an
      export surplus of around 5.2 Mbd (a bit more than one-half of US imports or
      EU imports, and close to Japan's import level)

      A McKillop